4. An Awkward Moment

You eventually made it to school with your cuts and bruises barely hidden, as usual. Again, the walk was long, but this time it was even longer because you had to apologize to Nikki. And maybe even explain if she forced you to. Instead of sitting against the wall of the fountain like usual, you sat near the door behind a few bushes, hoping Nikki wouldn't notice you.

Your fear grew as she arrived. She looks around worriedly, looking for you. She approached the door you were near. Your fear grew higher. Noone can know. Not gonna happen. You quietly get up and try to sneak away. You surprisingly manage to do it, sneaking further away and hiding under a snow covered bench. The buses arrive, and you blend into the incoming crowd.

You yet again go through class after class, avoiding eye contact with Nikki throughout all the ones you share with her. After school, you make your way to the spare room.You pause at the doorknob. You think "How am I gonna do this?" You brace yourself and open the door. Only a split second after you close the door behind you, you get tackled and you hear Nikki's voice next to your head "Oh my God, I was so worried! Where have you been? I was looking for you and when I couldn't find you I-" You shush her "Shh. It's okay. I'm alright. Don't worry about me, ok? She nods. "A-Alright. We should get to work anyway"

The rest of the time that was spent working was silent. Finally, Nikki spoke up, "So... w-why where you running?" You sighed. "There's a very good reason for that. One that I want to keep a secret." "Um, it's fine if you don't want to talk about it, I won't pry." She replied nervously. Then came an awkward silence. Each second felt like an eternity.

After a few hours of this, your time ran out for that day and you had to go home, well, if you could even call it home. You returned home to yet another beating from your now very drunk father, this time because your father had a bad day at work. He used a riding crop, a whip and his own belt buckle to leave several scars and bruises on your back. "It's all your fault you *hic* you little shit." Your father mumbled, his belt in one hand, a beer in the other. You're cemented in place. "What are you doing here!? Get *hic* to bed before I lay you out." Your father yelled. You scramble to the basement, and change out of your school uniform. You cover yourself in the thin plastic sheet and you once again struggle to find comfort in the dimly lit basement.

             466 Words

             -Rimadalc