Untitled Part 1

"Look at that one!" Silver whispered in awe as he stared intently at the brightly-coloured form that fluttered by just in front of his eyes. This was it, the accumulation of all his waiting and intense training; a better opportunity would not present itself in quite some time. Straining his muscles he prepared himself before leaping off the ground where he had crouched, whooping in joy as he gracefully soared through the air with arms stretched in front of him. His enthusiastic hollering quickly turned more frantic as the ground came closer, however, and with a pained yelp he crashed a bit wayward against the earth face-first. As he turned to his back with a groan he took in the offended butterfly that quickly flapped out of his reach entirely, and the bright grin of Sonic from where he rested on the ground also.

"You almost got it this time!" his boyfriend teased as he got up and sauntered closer, smug smile ever-present as his twinkling eyes glid over the hedgehog's overpowered form. With a sigh Silver took the hand that got extended to him, quickly checking his own and his body for any scrapes and flicking an ear in relief as he found none.

"Yeah, sure," he retorted as Sonic helped brush some muddy stains off of his pants. The grassy plain they were in had hundreds of the little insects in all colours and shapes and sizes, and Silver had had a field day so far chasing after them and trying to practice his pouncing. Unfortunately his lack of exercise and general coordination had caught up with him quickly, and so far the butterflies had found themselves the unwitting victor in each of his challenges. With a huff he took in the merry flutters of the creatures that were so adept at staying out of his reach. "I can't believe I blew it. This was the perfect opportunity!"

"You know butterflies! They are frightfully smart and have dexterity like no other! A small 'hog like you simply doesn't stand a chance," his blue-furred boyfriend snickered as he rubbed his nose, clearly feeling superior in the knowledge that with his incomparable speed he could easily catch a butterfly if he so desired.

"You better not be implying that I'm dumb, Sonic!" Silver shot back instantly, bristling his quills in mock anger. He knew very well Sonic would never say such a thing on purpose unless he was truly angered, but goading him along into feeling guilty always was fun.

"Of course not," Sonic murmured more softly, and Silver smiled in victory as the hedgehog pulled him closer and pressed a kiss against his ear. "You know I love you too much for that."

"If you loved me, you'd help me finally catch a butterfly!" Silver whined as he detangled himself from Sonic's grip, attempting to sneak up on one of the offending insects that fluttered by just out of his reach and groaning as his jump utterly failed to come even close to it. With newfound determination he began to chase after it, switching target multiple times to the closest insect and still not managing to catch even a single one. What was supposed to be a meeting inside their secret spot had quickly turned into an outside adventure wherein Silver chased after butterflies to his heart's content, if he ignored the fact that the little critters were a bit too adept at staying out of his reach. Waving his arms around wildly he skidded around the field, feet sliding away in the soggy undergrowth, which certainly didn't aid his attempts. It had been raining for the past few days and the two boys had jumped at the opportunity to go outside now that the weather had been predicted to improve, but while the sun had made most of the dew on the grass evaporate he had to be careful to not slip in one of the many muddy puddles that hid underneath the carpet of green.

"The key is speed and dexterity," Sonic snickered from where he walked just behind him, arms lazily draped behind his head.

"So you've said, but I'm plenty speedy-" he huffed in anger as Sonic rolled his eyes, punching his shoulder- "shut up, you know I am, and I have great dexterity too. These butterflies just are- they're just too evil!" He dropped his ears and turned his gaze more pleading as he looked at Sonic. "I simply stand no chance here..."