Under the Cherry Tree

Valentine's Day.

Many may describe it as twenty-four hours full of romance, in which you can love your soulmate as they deserve, and you shall buy them things that, even though they cannot reach the amount of love you have for them, they can at least symbolize the love you have for your lover.

Some other people -the loners, as many may call them,- thought it was the perfect excuse to spend twenty-four hours inside their home, eating awful amounts of ice-cream and watching South Park endlessly, to distract themselves about the fact that they were spending such an important day lonely at their apartments.

For Troye Sivan, it was a whole different situation. Valentine's Day was twenty-four hours of stress, in which he got to watch people being disgustingly romantic -or at least hoped so- and behave himself in front of couples that made him want to stylishly tell them to get the hell out of his shop.

As you may imagine, he couldn't do that, because then he would get fired from his family's treasure: The Mellet's Cupid Shop.

Troye's family, ever since his great grandmother decided selling flowers would be funny, owned an amazingly famous Shop, which was well known by almost all the people in the city. At first, they were asked to sent flowers anonymously to people from all over the town, and if they wanted to know who this person was, they'd have to come to the shop and ask for the secret thing he or she had left. Basically, the person who wanted to give someone flowers, had to leave something personal -from their address to their telephone numbers- so that the one who received it had at least the tiniest bit of a clue to know who the anonymous was.

It had been a fantastic idea, but with time things got bigger, and suddenly they weren't only delivering flowers, but homecoming proposals, chocolate boxes, teddy bears and everything people wanted to give them. However, some specific persons often exceeded the line and sent them some things that weren't...well, appropriate for all audiences.

That's why Troye was now rubbing his hand against his forehead, wondering what should they do with that thing he had on his hands. Of course it had been enveloped nicely, it even had a bow on it, but for security issues they were allowed to open the gifts before delivering them. "Mitch!"

Troye glanced around, trying to find the familiar mop of dark hair between the awful amount of boxes inside the closet, where they kept all the things that they had to deliver for Valentine's Day. His friend stood up from behind a box, questioningly looking at him.

"I need to go, so try not to break anything, okay?" He faked a smile. Of course, Troye was joking. Their relationship with Mitch had always been like that: Troye teasing him, everyday making pranks for each other, and fights that never got to anything beside who shall get the food.

"Sure, Sivan", Mitch grinned at his partner, sarcasm clear in his voice.

Troye smugly walked away, smiling at himself. However, the smile didn't last much when he saw the direction of the gift: The Kissing Tree. A sighed escaped his lips, as he remembered all the stories that had been made about that cherry tree. People said it was meant to create love at first sight, but Troye couldn't help but be disgusted at those things. Did people really think love existed?

Shaking his head, he reminded himself that the people walking outside needed to think they were happy, romantic persons so they could trust on the family. How can you trust someone who doesn't believe in romance? That's why Troye had to eat his disgust, smile adoringly at the couples passing by, and pretend he was a lovely romantic, even though it was quite the contrary.

Troye didn't hate his job, that was clear. First of all, it made money for the family and he couldn't be happier with it, but even taking that fact out, the job wasn't exactly disgsusting. He hated when girls bought something for their helpless crush, because he knew they would finish that supposedly romantic day lying on their beds crying; he hated when guys brought flowers to their one-week girlfriend, because he knew those girls would get their hopes up by nothing. But he didn't hated his job. Of course, he didn't believe at love at first sight, or believed in love at all, but when he saw people doing those things, he wanted to quit and gave up. People were stupid some times, forgetting how easily you can break someone's heart, even if you'll not remember a single thing about it when you're older, it still hurt. That's why he couldn't love as normally, carelessly as everyone. Because he knew from past stories how much it could hurt you.