Prologue

It began when we were ten. My twin sister Charlotte and I watched our grandfather die, surrounded by his family. He held both our lands as Death's kiss waxed peace onto his face. The once contorted pain that he wore like a shield waned into contentment.

Everywhere people sobbed against each other's shoulders. Our dad held our mom in his arms. Charlotte looked at me, her face red and trembling. I didn't know what to do. The adults were crying so I should be crying too. But their crying was the scariest thing in this room; Grandpa's death wasn't scary nor was it sad. To me at least, there was something godly, something pure and raw.

Someone led Charlotte away and I stayed behind. Later, when the adults retreated outside, my dad grabbed me by my shoulders.

"Why didn't you cry at your grandpa's wake, Catharine?" he asked me, in that same stern voice that told me I will be in trouble.

His gaze bore down on me and I, too, became red in the face. The first thought that came to me was I'm sorry but I know I did no wrong so I simply looked at him. After a long pause, dad let go and sighed, shaking his head. He was disappointed that once again I didn't cry. And I could only remember three instances before this where I didn't:

The first time, Charlotte's pet dog died. She cried, but I didn't.

The next time after that, a classmate of mine died. Neither me nor Charlotte cried although we were both red in the face. I thought Charlotte had the propensity to cry but decided to bottle it up after watching me.

The third time, it was some relative we didn't know, but my dad knew well because he cried the most. That was when I saw the open casket, the person laying within, and the way their face looked serene. I couldn't imagine a more peaceful thing; not even a bit. It was like Death shared kindness with them, a kindness no living being will experience.

And Death, Death seemed to follow us. I only ever noticed around the time grandpa died. Charlotte knew too because she sometimes woke up and sobbed, soft and quiet, into her pillow.

"Who will go next?" she said, turning one wet eye to my direction. "Who will go?"

I didn't respond, my eyes were busy gazing at the fake glow-in-the-dark stars that mom plastered on the ceiling for us. I tucked my arm beneath my head and counted them until Charlotte slipped in beside me and hugged me close.

"Not us," I told her, finally. I turned and put an arm around her, feeling her heartbeat against mine. "And if we go, we go together." The truth, despite my unflinching stare towards those who expired, was that I was scared of Death. Perhaps it was the greatest recognition of our humanity. That we all have an innate fear of it.

Months passed and we will be twelve soon.

When summer came it drew forth the inevitable heatwave, the bugs, and the freedom of a vacation. But what drew to our house wasn't any of these. It was a woman, dressed in the colors of spring, with flowers wrapped in her hair.

"I'm here for Charlotte and Catharine," she said, like an order. "My daughters, where are they?"

Mom and dad rose from the couch and our aunt, who was visiting at the time, took us both into our room. Charlotte complained first, saying the lady looked pretty and she wanted to meet her. But our aunt shushed us and told us to be quiet, before running off.

"Catharine, let's leave, I want to talk to her." Charlotte pulled at my pajama sleeves.

"Quiet! Didn't you hear what auntie said?" I said, slapping her hand away. I knew the implications of this. I saw it on television, where parents hide their children while they fight the intruder. And if those shows were factual, it meant there was a chance they might...

The door flew open and the lady, with auburn hair and sharp features, walked in. I noticed her feet were bare and carried with her was the fragrance of flowers, sweet and light. Yet, all of this yielded to nothing but more alertness in my head. So I bared my teeth and stood in front of Charlotte.

I knew how to be cruel. I had fought older children, bruised flesh made cuts in the skin of every rival and bully that stood in our way.

The woman looked down upon us, her aquiline nose giving her a hawkish look. "Your lips are trembling, sweet thing."

"It's 'cause you're a bad woman," I said, spreading my arms out.

For a moment, there was silence. Charlotte sniffed behind me, holding in her cries. And I was so tense that I was shaking. As much as it wounded my pride, the woman was right. My lips shook and chills crept down my back.

"Dear oh dear, what a brave thing you are to stand in front of a goddess," she said. Her eyes narrowed and she peered down at me. Charlotte clutched the fabric of my shirt and tugged.

Give up was what my twin sister was trying to tell me.

"You're not a goddess," I said with all the bravery of a foolish kid.

"Yes I am, you may not know me but I am a goddess," the woman said coolly, walking towards us. Her steps were small, but it felt like she was taking her time. I pushed Charlotte back with my body before I realized we had a wall behind us. The woman saw and she smiled, the red of her lips like blood. It was beautiful, but when it curled into a smirk it suddenly became savage.

"Stay away from us!" I told her again. Charlotte started crying, her tears staining my shirt wet. I wished I could hold her, but putting distance between her and this woman was my priority.

Still, none of my parents nor my aunt came up to help us.

The woman was all teeth and smile when she held out her hand. "Sorry sweet thing, I cannot do that." Her fingers curled as if beckoning us forward. Immediately, something changed when Charlotte separated from me. Her cries stopped and a misty-eyed look appeared on her face as she walked forward, towards the woman.

"Come back!" I said, attempting to grab her by the collar.

A force stopped me, pushing me until my back hit the wall. I watched as the woman embraced Charlotte, giving her arm a squeeze. This cannot be happening; I will not lose my sister like this.

"See?" the woman said, turning my sister around so she and I faced each other. "Look at how obedient little Charlotte is."

"You tricked her!" I said, attempting to lean forward, "You are a witch! An evil woman!"

"Oh, goodness will you stop with the false assumption?" Her eyes rolled and she tugged Charlotte behind her. Then, she grabbed me, pulling me towards her before lifting me up. One arm was under my back and another under the dip behind my knees. I yelled and I cried, face red, and streaked with tears.

"Good luck trying to escape now, no one will come for you," the woman said, humming.

Charlotte followed beside her, sticking so close her shoulder touched the woman's dress. Meanwhile, I continued to struggle, but no matter what, the woman wouldn't let go. We made it downstairs and I saw them.

They were staring at nothing, their faces serene like they were dead. Yet, when we passed them, I noticed their chests moving.

I called, to mom, to dad, and to auntie. Hurry, take us back.

The woman was now by the door.

And in an instant, we were gone, to a place no one has ever gone before.