almost together

"Katherine, it's time."

I crane my head back. "Already?"

Pearl along with Lillie smile softly, glancing at one another. 

Pearl untangles her hand from Lillie's, gliding to my side. "You look beautiful."

I bite my lip, a smile drawing itself on my face. "You think so?"

"I know so." She states, watching as her wife sidles up to my other side.

"We did it, and I'll tell you." Lillie starts. "The hardest bit is walking down the aisle, it's a lot easier once you're up there next to them."

I tear my gaze from her, staring back at myself.

My low messy bun and my made-up face. My flowy blush coloured dress that swayed each time I took a step.

It's all perfect.

I take a deep breath in.

"Let's do this," I murmur, taking a step back from the mirror.

"I'm sorry, I can't hear you." Lillie teases.

"Let's do this!"

Pearl gasps. "What the hell, not that loud!" She whisper-shouts, placing both hands on my shoulders while sending her wife a hard glare.

From the corner of my eye, I see Lillie shrug, a smug smile painted on her lips.

I stifle a laugh as Pearl rolls her eyes. "Let's just go."

She links her arm in mine, walking me out of the small room. My heart beats faster with each step, adrenaline pumping through my veins.

Even though there wasn't much family sitting in the hall, it still nerved me to walk down alone.

Alone.

Just as that thought crossed my mind, I hear a light voice.

"Mama!"

I immediately snap my head to my right, seeing a bundle of pink and black bounding towards me.

I release from Pearl's hold, quickly crouching down to her height. "Hello. My sweet baby girl!" I exclaim, not hesitating to envelop her in my arms. "What're you doing here?"

She points to her chest and then to the big doors leading to the aisle.

"Dada..." She frowns before a big smile takes over her face. "said walk... you."

I jerk my head up, only catching sight of a pair of black shoes rushing around the corner.

I shake my head, sighing as I feel my eyes begin to well up.

"Katherine, you alright?" Pearl asks tentatively.

"Yeah, I just- It's a momentous day without... them," I mutter. "But I have my girl and the guys, so..."

Lillie's answer gets cut off when Jasmine begins to whine. "I walk." She explains, pointing to the ground.

I place her back on the ground and allow her to grab my hand. I allow her to drag me down, only tugging lightly when we reach the doors.

"You go ahead of me; I'll be right behind you."

Jasmine's little tail wags with excitement as she doesn't hesitate to push the door. And again. And then again.

She huffs in frustration, a pout forming on her lips.

I chuckle, my emotional state somehow being replaced with a warm feeling.

"Here." I press my fingertips gently against the door and hear it creak open.

"Play the music!"

I press my hand across my mouth, refraining from letting any of my giggles escape. I put one of my feet forward, a feeling of yearning spreading across my chest.

I want to be them.

"Katherine, wait!"

I freeze at the familiar voice.

No.

It can't be.

I slowly turn around, greeted with the sight of Lillie and Pearl's fuming faces.

"Father... Mother." I say, stunned.

What are they doing here?