5

It was the second hour of the first prahar.

I found myself running up to Baba's chambers.

Tears streaming down my face. A variety of emotions going through me, but mostly fear.

Just about a minute ago, Dai ma had hurried up to me to tell me that Baba's health was deteriorating.

There was no way that this could happen.

I had taken all the precautions.

A few days ago, Baba had jokingly told me that he wouldn't make it to Shaaki Yatra this year.

Unimpressed by his ability to use sarcasm, I brushed it off by laughing loudly.

But there he was, I could see him lying on the bed.

Weak and pale as a leaf. I felt my heart clench.

A daughter should never have to see her strong and proud father like this. I felt broken.

He saw me through the corner of his eye without moving his neck and moved his fingers......indicating me to come close.

His helpers came to aid him while he got up, coughing and choking on his own spit.

He weakly handed me an envelope and closed his eyes. I held his hand tightly while pouring my eyes out... hearing his breathing soften till I could no longer hear it.

I could feel Dai Ma lifting me up from Baba's now lifeless body.

But just as I looked at it, I could feel myself welling up.

Before I realised, everything went dark and the only thing that seemed to matter was the soft fragrance of roses which grew outside the window.
——-
"BABAAA!!!"
I ran through the maze which seemed to grow taller by each minute.

"I'm right here, you just have to open up the world of your possibilities and find me beta." I could hear his voice on the other side of the thick shrubs.

"Amma will scold me if she finds out that I've been running through the flowerbeds again! Please come out baba!" I said giggling. I bet Baba saw right through my white lies.

"Just a few more turns and you'll make it through." I heard him and rolled my eyes.

He had decided that he wouldn't surrender this time. Well then, if he could be stubborn, I could too.

I walked through the garden maze, walking in deeper and deeper, trying to remember the pattern of the walls and shrubs.

And soon enough, I made it to the centre. I could see Baba sitting in the shade of the banyan growing gracefully in the middle of the little clearing.

I hurried past it's roots and tapped Baba's shoulder.

"Now can we go back?" I asked anxiously.

"Ah! Seems like my little princess has found me. You see a maze isn't that hard when you know what you're looking for." He said picking up a fallen leaf of the banyan tree.

"And what do you plan of doing with that?"

"It's a souvenir."

"For?"

"Well, for the day my daughter became independent." He said chuckling and running away towards the exit.

"BABAA!" I shouted while giggling but he didn't stop. He didn't turn back. He didn't laugh. He just went further ahead, till all I could make out was a descending silhouette.

"BABA!" I screamed.

"BABA!" I jolted up from my peaceful dream.

My forehead was drenched in what seemed like sweat.

And everything around me seemed hazy.

I rubbed my eyes vigorously until a pair of strong arms pulled my hands away from my face.

Through the haze, I could see Neerav's face.

He sat down next to me and caged me in his arms.

And after everything, this is exactly where I wanted to be.

——-
Oooof! Was that predictable? I'm not really sure. Also the last chapter got like 4 views. Man I was so sad but I hope I do better. Last chapter was my favourite one till now. It still is. But I promise much more neerav and much less other things. This is a romance book after all.

Follow me on Instagram
ave_kul