Chapter Two

Recap: "How drunk are you?"

"Uh...I'm a lightweight, so very."

"So you're not going to remember any of this tomorrow?"

"No, probably not."

"Good." Mel took a deep breath, as if steeling herself to do something, then leaned forward and planted a passionate kiss on his lips.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Things escalated rather quickly from there. First there was kissing. Then groping. Then Cole said, "You wanna go back to my apartment? It's, like, five minutes from here."

"Oh, yeah," she said.

Once they got to Cole's apartment, which was conveniently on the second floor, things escalated even further. Clothes were thrown carelessly everywhere. They just barely managed to make it to the bed before they were fully naked. Eventually, once they were both panting too much to go again, Mel flopped over onto her back. They lay there for a few minutes, regaining their breath.

Finally, sitting up, Mel said, "Well, that was lovely. I'd better go now."

"What?" said Cole, not quite back in the real world. "Why don't you stay?"

"No, sorry, can't," she said, standing up and putting on her clothes.

"Mel--Mel, right?"

"Yeah, that's my name."

"Sorry, had to make sure. Anyway, it's--it's three A.M. Seriously, just stay."

"I really shouldn't. I've got a lot to do tomorrow."

"At least take a shower."

"Sorry." At this point she was at the door.

"Mel! Wait!" said Cole desperately, sitting up, stark naked, in his bed. She turned. "What's your number? Can I call you again?"

"FIrst of all, you haven't called me yet, so you can't call me again," Mel began.

Cole rolled his eyes. "Fine, can I call you? For the first time."

"No, Cole, I'm sorry. You seem like a really awesome guy, but this is a one-night stand. I had a great time, though." She gave him a friendly smile, then made her way to the door to the apartment. Cole had just flopped back in desperation and embarrassment when she came back.

"Yeah?" he said hopefully, sitting up.

Mel bit her lip, then said matter-of-factly, "Um...I just wanted to let you know, those were my firsts." There was a beat, then she turned and headed out again.

Cole registered this, went through every possible translation in his head, then came to a conclusion. This conclusion caused him to shoot out of bed, drag on his pants, and follow her out of the room. "What? That was your first time?" he said incredulously, just catching her at the front door.

She turned, her hand on the door knob. "Yeah, both of them."

"Both?" he repeated confusedly. "But--but we did it--"

"Oh, don't even bother," Mel said, gesturing to his pants, which he hadn't yet managed to pull on. "I mean, seriously, I've already seen it. Just now, actually."

"Yeah, I know, it's stupid. They do it in movies, though."

"Only in chick flicks. You watch chick flicks?"

"No! My--my ex did--that is so not the point!" Cole said, still not able to talk about Kayla. "What did you mean 'both of them'?"

"Both virginities," Mel said simply, as if that would explain it.

"Th-there's only one..."

"No, there's not. There's lip virginity as well."

"What? You mean, you just, that was--" Cole spluttered incredulously.

"Okay, to end this conversation," Mel said with an edge in her voice, "you were my first kiss and my first...you know, sex."

"What?!" Cole was now positive he'd lost his mind. "How the hell old are you?"

"I'm twenty-two."

"You--you're twenty-two, you're freaking sexy, and you're, like, the best I've had in--ever. You were a virgin until you met me?"

"Yes, I was. You got that?" Mel glared at him.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm sorry. It's just--you're extremely pretty and you're phenomenal in bed. It just seems crazy that someone as amazing as you could be a virgin for twenty-two years."

"Well, I managed it."

"Wow. You don't know how lucky I feel," Cole said, turning around slowly, running his hands through his hair. "I mean, I hope I lived up to--"

"Just barely." Then the door shut.

Cole turned quickly. She was gone. He stuck his head out into the hall, but he couldn't see her. Had he dreamt her? She couldn't possibly be real.

Finally he closed the door and leaned against it, still marveling at this impossibility. "Mel..."