I

"I still do not understand why we must leave London." Noelle said with a huff.

Her mother replied with a soft sigh, "We have already discussed this, Noelle. The decision is final."

"Our life is perfectly sound here," she whined, "I do not see any reason to relocate elsewhere."

The recent passing of her father took quite a significant toll on their family. His will might have left the women with a fortune sufficient to support them, to allow them to continue living comfortably, but the Clarke patriarch's untimely death bore a deep and lasting emotional effect on the family, the pain having been endured the greatest by their mother, Juliet.

"Think of it a new, fresh start for us," the older woman offered her daughter a smile, "Your great uncle John had been most kind and generous to offer us his Devonshire estate. Oh, my sweet, you will love it there! The place is within a spacious grassy expanse, surrounded by tranquil nature." Juliet said enthusiastically, "And I do believe that there is a small barn not too far from our new residence. You may go and visit the animals there anytime you wish."

Noelle did not say anything and kept her gaze low.

Juliet, sensing that her daughter remained rather unconvinced by her efforts, let out another sigh, cupping her youngest's face in her hands, "At least try to give it a chance, love. I know things have not been the easiest these past few weeks. We will get through this, together. All will be fine in due time, alright?"

Noelle nodded, forcing her lips to curve into a weak smile.

The journey was long and excruciatingly dull, as expected. Noelle spent the entirety of the carriage ride focused on the road, feeling the enthusiasm within her, if there had been any left, slowly leave her body as she watched the view of the sturdy buildings of the city transition into the dense grey nothingness of the English countryside.

Her sisters had also made their disapproval known, but it was mainly Noelle who kept insisting her displeasure on the family's sudden relocation. She thought of her friends then, and multiple questions and possibilities swarmed her mind. Would they miss her? How long would it take for them to forget her entirely? And once they do, would they find a replacement? Noelle knew she was acting childish, and her older sister, Laura, would constantly glare, ever so discreetly, at her insolence. But then again, Noelle did not care.

The inns they spent their nights at provided Noelle with a sense of longing than rest. She spent her evenings staring out the window as her family slept, holding the single most valuable memory she had left of her late father – a silver pocket watch he had gifted her for her eighteenth birthday, only a few months before he left them.

It took them another full day of travel before they finally reached their destination, and by the time they had arrived at their new home, it was close to nighttime once again. Great uncle John already stood waiting at the door, eager to greet the ladies with a warm and gleeful welcome with his own family right beside him.

"At long last!" Sir John Middleton exclaimed joyfully, "Welcome to Devonshire, my good ladies! The road had been nothing but forgiving, I hope?"

Mother smiled warmly at the man, "Yes, uncle. The journey had been long, yet smooth."

After the two parties had exchanged introductions and formalities, all four women were ushered into their new home and assisted with settling down. Noelle was trying to keep the smile on her lips, but her face started to hurt. She did not talk much, too afraid that she might utter something that could spoil the joyful atmosphere.

She found herself then stood by the doorway, eyes focused on the carriage that brought them to this place. Her eyes followed the wheeled vehicle as the horses pulled it further and further away, until it faded into the darkness of the night and she could only hear the faint sound of horseshoes hitting the gravel road.

Noelle sighed, a soft huff of sadness and defeat. She then felt a hand on her shoulder.

"Do you trust me?" asked her mother in a hushed yet gentle voice.

Noelle turned to her with glossy eyes, "I do."

With one last look outside, she shut the door and turned to the busyness before her. She inhaled a breath, slowly welcoming the sense of acceptance and contentment for what was to be their new life.

This one's for my girl Linit. <3