An Ordinary Day...or is it?

--------------A/N----------------
I found the picture on Pinterest and thought it was funny so I decided to post it as the picture for this chapter. Hope you enjoy this book and chapter!!!! 📕📗📘📙

Merlin POV

Merlin this. Merlin that. Merlin, go polish my armor. Merlin, go clean my chambers. Merlin, sharpen my sword. I mimic. Why can't he give me a break? We're currently hunting somewhere in the Valley of the Fallen Kings, despite my protests of it being cursed. I've been dragging after him all day, and we still haven't caught anything.

"Merlin, you idiot! Stop lagging behind and fetch me another arrow." There he goes again. I guess it's the price for saving his life though, as unfair as that seems. And then there's the idiot thing. He still thinks I'm one despite everything I've sacrificed for him. Despite how many times I've saved his life. I've lost count.

Aggravated, I shove the arrow at him and he gives me an odd look before loading it into his crossbow. And then I see it. A beautiful healthy stag, not yet fully grown. I want to yell at Arthur to not shoot, to not take the life of something so precious, but it's too late. The arrow whizzes through the air, towards its target, and I look away. The thump as the stag hits the forest floor tells me the magnificent creature is dead.

I bite my tongue to keep from lashing out at Arthur, drawing blood. It stings, but I'd much rather be bleeding then be dead. Unlike that stag.

"C'mon, Merlin. Help me carry it." It. That's what he thinks of it. A creature made to be killed. It's only purpose to be someone's evening meal. Despite my anger, I trudge heavily over to Arthur, who has already walked over to the dead animal, and help him carry it over to a rather secluded area in the trees, where we will set up camp.

Once the fires set, an orange blazing beauty with the help of a little secretly used magic, and the carcass has been cleaned, I sit down on a fallen log, losing myself in my thoughts. I remember the last time I was here, Morgana captured me after I was hit with a mace in the chest. She enchanted me to kill Arthur but eventually the creature controlling me was subdued and I was able to kill off the mother beast. Those few days of being trapped inside of my mind, unable to scream for help, unable to yell at Arthur that it's not really me he's talking to, it still haunts me.

Arthur nudges me on the shoulder, bringing me back to the present.

"What is wrong with you today?"

"What?" I question, my eyes still on the roaring blaze in front of me.

"It pains me to admit it, but I do enjoy your surly retorts. In fact, it's probably your only redeemable feature."

"Thanks." I say hardly, not bothering to look at him.

"There are loads of servants who can serve. So few are capable of making a complete prat of themselves. What is it?"

"Nothing." I reply coldly.

"It's something. Alright, I know I'm a king, so we can't be friends. But if I wasn't a king..."

"What?" I say, mildly interested.

"Well, then...I think we'd probably get on."

"So?"

"So at least can you tell me?"

"Well, that's true. But you see, if you weren't a king, I'd tell you to mind your own damn business."
Including that deers, I think.

"Merlin!" He says indignantly. "Are you still upset about that stag I killed today?" I'm about to interrupt but he cuts me off. "-and don't bother denying it. I saw that look in your eyes. Distraught almost."