Chapter 8: The value of life

"No way!" Everyone's eyes widened and then turned to me

"No way!" Everyone's eyes widened and then turned to me. This was the third time in a row that I rolled a six on all of my dice. The LUCK contest continued according to plan, and rolling dice was the next discipline. But I never expected I would be so lucky... not that I was complaining, but my dice throws were starting to be so impossible it must have made everyone suspicious.

After yesterday, when Usashi told me what she knew about Hide's murder, I couldn't decide whether to tell anyone the truth. Maybe it would make the others suspicious, and I didn't want that. So I kept it to myself, and as a result, I must have looked a little guilty. But now I definitely felt guilty! Nobody should be able to throw dice so well!

"Well, Tomomi has full points." concluded Goro.

"I'm not having it." Ikiru was ready to argue, as were the others. Worse still, Usashi was staring me down with a wicked smile, which made me feel that much more uncomfortable.

"She can't be that lucky, can she?" Jin shook her head and asked me. "You didn't cheat, right, Tomomi?"

"O-Of course not!" It was true, I didn't! "B-But... I admit it's strange..."

However, Akihiro was still on my side. "Not strange at all! The universe just wanted you to win today, Tomomi."

Fubuki mashed some numbers into his pocket calculator to come right back at him. "I'm not falling for it. The probability of Tomomi's throw is less than 0.003%."

"So it could have happened, then." Akihiro stood his ground.

But since I didn't believe it either, I joined the others, even if it would lower my score. "I-It's alright! I can roll the dice again. This time, I'm sure the score will be different..." So I took the dice once more, closed my eyes, and cast them. When I opened my eyes...

"It's six 6's! For the fourth time in a row!" I was as bewildered as everyone else, except Akihiro. Fubuki shouted. "I told you, she must be cheating-"

"Then HOW did she cheat?" Goro interrupted. "None of you saw anything that would alter the course of the dice, did you? It was completely random." Since he was right, and nobody had any actual evidence that I cheated, he wrote down the score and updated the leaderboard.

It didn't end there, though. "Throw them again!" demanded Fubuko. "If Akihiro's right, you'll get all 6's again."

"That's not how luck works-" Akihiro was interrupted by Jin. "Who cares? I wanna see too! C'mon Tomomi, show us how you throw!"

Embarrassed because of my strange success, I cast the dice again. I didn't even have to look, the others burst out into a scream simultaneously. Again, all 6's... This was becoming obscene.

"Is something wrong with the dice?" Ikiru looked, but his investigation showed no results. "They're perfectly balanced..."

"Me, me, I wanna throw too!" Jin took them all and threw them with a hopeful glimmer in her eyes, but her results were completely random numbers. "I don't get it..." And when I threw them again after that, my perfect streak was finally broken. Was it luck, or some curse?