Chapter 26

Chapter 26

June 13, 1964

Introductions

My stomach did a flip as the Ocean City police car drove by. The two cops gave me a hard look but kept going. I was hanging out at the entrance to the Jolly Roger Hotel, waiting for Sylvia to finish with the salesman whom I’d lined up for her. It was twelve-twenty in the morning when she walked out the lobby door.

“Everything go OK? You were in there for over two hours.”

“Yeah. He seemed like a pretty nice guy. Wanted to talk a lot, though. I think he was mostly lonely. He really liked my ponytail, said I reminded him of his high school sweetheart. He wished I’d had bobby socks, saddle shoes, and a pleated skirt.”

“Hmmm. Maybe I should start taking orders.…Ah, yes, sir, how would you like the lady to dress for the evening…before she takes her clothes off, that is?”

“Hey, now, there’s an idea. We’ll have to talk to Misty about that. Anyway, I woulda made things happen faster if we had more to do tonight, but I figured no need to rush him.” She was smoking a cigarette and gesturing wildly with her arms. It looked like she was trying to flag a cab.

“I told Jack we’d meet him and Misty at Ninth and the boardwalk,” I said. “Morton’s working at a hotel there. He’s probably going to have a muscle-bound friend with him, maybe a couple of them. He’s a little spooked with me over getting us both fired. He’s afraid I’ll do something to get even. I’ll introduce you two to Jerry and his friend, or friends, and get a place and time for the party.”

When we were a block away from Ninth, I spotted Misty and Jack. I had no trouble identifying them by their silhouettes—Misty with her odd haircut and muumuu and pumpkin-headed Jack. Two little red dots told me they were smoking.

“How’d it go tonight?” Misty asked.

“Good,” said Sylvia.

“Couple of cops drove by while I was waiting and gave me dirty looks.”

“They won’t bother you. They might get on our asses if we walk around with our tits hanging out, looking like we’re selling it, but if we’re clothed decently, they won’t do anything unless there’s a complaint. Key is to keep it hassle free,” said Misty.

“Let’s go see my friend Mr. Morton and let him see the merchandise.”

It was after one when we got to the hotel. I told Misty, Sylvia, and Jack to wait on the porch, that I’d bring Jerry out to them. Jerry and Mr. Muscles were sitting in chairs in the empty lobby when I walked in. They stood up when they saw me.

“Hey, Delaney,” Jerry said.

“Shh. Not so loud. I don’t want the entire hotel to know I’m here. Come on outside. I want you to meet the girls.”

As soon as we stepped onto the porch, Misty and Sylvia seemed to float to Jerry and Mr. Muscles, drawn like metal flakes to a magnet. They pressed their bodies against the guys, cooing and aahing, stroking their hair and faces. I heard Sylvia say the word “muscles.” Jack was about to have a hernia trying to hold back his laugh. Jerry was in a trance. It was possible he could have come in his pants right there. Mr. Muscles was puffing out his chest, putting tension in his biceps and forearms to pop his veins and show off his muscles.

“OK, OK, enough. Back off, girls. Jerry and I need to talk business. What’s the deal, Jerry?”

“Yeah, Delaney, the boys are up for it. You know. Tomorrow night at eight. A couple of the guys have a small apartment on the bay side.” Jerry, excited, spoke fast while his friend grinned and nodded.

“How many?”

“Five for now, but there might be six.”

“That’s no problem, Jerry, but remember, it’s twenty-five bucks a person. Jack will do a head count and collect the money before the girls do anything. And do yourself a favor: don’t hide anyone in a closet.”

Jerry and I went inside to get the address for the party.

“Sure, sure, Delaney.” Then Jerry, in a raised whisper, said, “Thanks, dude. This is sooo cool, you know. I really owe you, man.”

Somehow everyone managed to hold in their laughter until we reached the boardwalk. We were all smiling, but then Sylvia started to giggle, and then we all exploded with laughter.

“You two gave Morton a hard-on without even taking your clothes off,” Jack said.

“I thought for sure he was gonna come right there,” Sylvia said, shaking her head and spreading her arms wide.

“If his friends are as easy as he is, it should be a fast one-fifty,” said Misty, then added, “Delaney, maybe you should try to get a second party for later. We’re liable to be done with these guys by nine.”

We laughed, but Misty looked at me and said, “Seriously.”

“You realize that twenty-five bucks is half a week’s pay for this guy.”

“Don’t worry. He’ll get his money’s worth. Besides, we’re worth it,” said Misty.