Chapter 1: Broken

Constant pattering echoed in the umbrellas of the people walking through the slippery mud, the rain was falling insistently, with no sign of letting up. For some, it was a cozy day, where children and adults rejoice in their wooden houses in front of the fireplace, with something warm to drink; but perhaps, for others it may not be so. Undoubtedly, the day was gray, so much so that it seemed as if the sky was crying as if a tragedy had occurred.

People vehemently avoided a young couple embracing under a portico, the teenage girl breezily hugging a boy. Thanks to the constant pattering of the rain as the brown girl's tears fell, they did not attract the attention of the crowd walking near them. The boy comforted her by caressing with his right hand the soaked hair that clung to her body at her hips, with his left hand he pressed the girl against him from the waist. He whispered soft phrases in her ear; "You'll be fine."

-Alex... -The brunette sobbed, looking totally fragile. She looked into his eyes, brown orbs, reddened from crying. -I know this is a little silly...but.... What am I going to do now?

The black-haired boy gazed tenderly at the brunette and wiped the tears from her face.

-Emi... everything happens for a reason. I knew that, in the end, you would be hurt and your beautiful heart would be broken. -On the face of the brunette tears were present again, remembering her hurt and battered heart. -Don't cry, Emi -the young man gave a sincere smile and caressed her rosy cheeks-. Emilie, keep in mind that I will always be there for you. And I will pick up every piece of your shattered heart and I will rebuild it for you.

The chestnut felt every word sting her heart. She regretted intensely that she had hidden her feelings for the boy who was comforting her and hugging her so tenderly. In the young man's eyes she could clearly see everything she felt. Joy, anger, sadness and love. An immense love for the girl.

-Come on, smile, I will rebuild your heart, whatever it takes. -He gave the girl another of his sincere smiles. But with clearly curious eyes. -Can I ask you a question?

-Of course, Alexander. -The brunette wiped her tears and smiled shyly at Alex. -You can ask.

-Well..." Emilie could see how her friend's cheeks were slightly flushed, which she found most amusing; Emilie's smile disappeared as she predicted her companion's action. With a sudden movement Alex moved closer, until his nose lightly touched her nose. The young girl felt a surge of heat run through her body, making her feel confused. -Can I?

The brunette was speechless. She moved slightly away from him, closed her eyes. Then she opened them, meeting the boy's black eyes.

-I still haven't recovered from... what happened. -The brunette lowered her eyes a little bit hurt from remembering what happened. She raised her head looking at Alex, who was smiling at her, as if encouraging her. -I'm sorry.

-Don't worry, with the decision you made, I'm happy..... Don't worry. -The girl gave him a smile, because of the phrase. This made Alex smile with pleasure. -My duty is to make you smile, don't forget it.

-Thank you...

Both boys remained in a comfortable silence, while they perceived how the rain was easing, the raindrops were diminishing, already falling in trickles. An accomplice smile was drawn on the lips of both of them. They ran so as not to get wetter with the dirty raindrops that fell from the roofs of the houses. They did not stop running until they reached the porch of Emilie's house.

-It's time for you to go. -Emilie whispered with a certain sadness in her voice.

-Why so sad? -The boy bumped their heads together with a slight movement.