Prologue

She loved Mondays. They were not filled with exams, tests and summary learning like the rest of the week. She spent it with her mom. They played and talked. Jenny particularly liked it when her mother told her about what had happened when she had been at work, shopping or at other lively places - among people. And she enjoyed going there with her even more.

She was already eight years old, but her body's metabolic age was fifteen years old. It was estimated that Jenny's emotional maturity fell somewhere in between. That's why for several moths she had been allowed to join her mom in going to the city. Of course, she still couldn't make friends with anyone outside. Not until her quickened growth ceases and no one will be able to distinguish her from a normal person. People still kept to frown on human cloning.

Some were afraid of clones. They thought they had tweaked genes and therefore superhuman abilities. Which, of course, is nonsense. She knew firsthand that work on clones with improved genes was just underway and was going quite miserably. At least in the lab where she was created. Since the best laboratory in all of America has not yet been able to do this, others are unlikely to do so.

The others were against cloning itself. They considered it unethical. Some because of religion, others argued that it is inhumane to make a child, who had barely been born, already have set expectations about who they will be. But Jenny has never seen it that way. She usually didn't feel any pressure to be like the original. Mom let her be who she wanted. She never assumed that her hobbies, tastes or way of being would coincide with those of her first daughter, the one she actually gave birth to. She never even talked too much about her. For what, on balance, the blonde was grateful. Nor did she feel pressure from laboratory scientists. They didn't know the original, they couldn't compare them. Only sometimes did she feel like she was being treated like a prototype. When He came.