Chapter 2

I know contacting her whilst I'm in the middle of the welcome party is risky, but I feel I have no choice, what with daring, handsome Alex spouting all kinds of nonsense about Bethany's past. My racing heart is still trying to return to normal after Alex's sensually addictive touch when she answers the phone.

'What are you talking about?' Bethany asks, her voice soft and melodic.

'Some guy named Alex is here,' I say, leaning back against the sink and biting my lip.

'Alex? Alexander?' she asks. 'Alexander Edwardson?'

'I don't know – I didn't hang around to ask,' I tell her. 'He was pretty handsy.' Not that I minded.

'Sounds like Alex,' she scoffs.

'I thought you hadn't seen anyone here since you were a kid?'

'I haven't,' she replies. 'But I've heard rumours. My parents tell me it all. He's a complete player.'

'Why am I not surprised?'

'I didn't account for his attendance. I'm sorry I didn't prepare you for an Alexander Edwardson appearance.' She tuts slightly, clearly frustrated with herself for letting something slip through the net. 'I think it's best if you stay away from him,' she advises. 'Chances are, he's only interested because you're back on the scene after so long.'

'Probably.'

'The most important thing is to fool everyone into assuming I'm at this place,' she adds. 'With a person like him around, it may cause unnecessary chaos.'

'Okay.' She's probably right.

'Is everything else okay?'

'Well...'

'What?' she presses, worry laced through her voice.

'He was apologising for the past,' I tell her. 'Do you think I should know what happened?'

Bethany stays silent for all of five seconds before she responds. 'I don't think so. It was something ridiculous that isn't worth mentioning. If you speak with him again, just say that you accept his so-called sorry and that he should leave the past in the past,' she tells me.

'Okay,' I answer, a little uncertain over her decision to keep me in the dark, but I guess everyone has secrets. 'How's Barbados?' I ask as I move to slouch onto the chaise lounge.

'I'm missing you,' she replies with a slight whine, and I smile.

'I miss you too.'

'As soon as this retreat is over, you're coming with me to the Maldives for two weeks,' she announces. I smile at the idea. 'I wish we could talk for longer, but you've got to get back out there, and I've got to dash. It's five o'clock here and someone is summoning me for dinner.'

'Bethany!' I almost squeal. 'Have you met a guy already?'

'Maybe.' She giggles. 'I'll talk to you in a few days?'

'Of course.'

'You've got this,' she assures me, and I smile, pulling the phone away from my ear and hanging up. I'm not surprised by her apparent date, Bethany never being one to hang around and contemplate anything. If she sees something she likes, she'll dive headfirst after it. It reminds me of the day she came up with this plan, her face lighting up like a kid spotting an ice-cream truck. She was bursting with excitement, having spent almost a fortnight moping around over the six-week retreat her parents insisted she attend due to their last-minute business in New York.

They'd never send their eldest daughter to London, Bethany told me. Katherine had made a poor name for herself back in the day, leaving her four-years-younger sister to pick up the pieces. Something Bethany clearly despised her for.