Swimmingly (fluff)

Restless nights annoy you more than anything. You have to be well-rested to be a runner, which you are, or else life is a literal hell.  However, whatever you try to do tonight you just can't sleep. You finally decide to go for a dip in the pond to calm your busy mind. Hoping it will make you some kind of tired. You hop out of bed to your drawers. Alby had given you this hut when you were first brought to the glade 3 months ago knowing you would need space from the other gladers at times. You slip into your bathing suit it's light purple and a tad on the revealing side but nobody is going to see you this late anyway. Pulling on a loose t-shirt you begin the journey to the deadheads (where the pond is). You reach the bank of the small pond and remove your t-shirt tossing it in the grass beside you.

"Y/N?" You jump at the strong accented voice. Your stomach feeling light as you realize who had just said your name.

"Newt?" You turn to see Newt jump down from a tree branch.

"Sorry..erm...I thought it would be less awkward if I said I was here now rather than later"

"you perv!" You say watching a horrified expression stretch on his face in the darkness.

"I-I" He stutters to defend himself and you suddenly feel a bit bad for messing with him.

"I'm kidding I know your not" You laugh touching his arm then walking back into the water. The water isn't cold but it certainly isn't warm either.

"Well that's good," He says holding eye contact with you once he's done talking. You have feelings for Newt pretty much everybody in the glade knew it. You had told Minho first, his response had been a whole lot of "just tell him dude" and tons of nagging to get your feelings off your chest. Staring at Newt in the darkness gave you a strong urge to do something stupid.

"Why don't you join me," You say waving for him to come into the pond as you take several steps deeper into the dark water.

"I don't have a bathing suit," He says shocked,

"Just take off your shirt and come in" you wait in anticipation and nervousness hoping you didn't just make it weird. A few seconds go by as Newt contemplates. Then you see him reach for the hem of his shirt pulling it over his head to reveal his toned body. You turn away from him so he doesn't see you staring. He swims up behind you. You both lower into the water, you splash him watching his mouth drop open before he splashes you back laughing at your face. Then it happens again you guys stare into each other's eyes without saying anything. Suddenly you feel words coming up your throat like vomit. You try to choke them down but it's too late. "Newt I need to tell you something" 

"What is it," He says looking to you but you're looking everywhere but him. Suddenly you get the confidence to look back. When you see his perfect face you feel your heart melt.

"I like you," you say quickly,

"I like you too," He says with a cute smile.

"no, it's different Newt I like you romantically" you see the smile fade and his eyes widen.

"oh..."

"Yeah, you know what...I'm sorry..we don't have to ever talk about this again...I...uh...um...good night" You feel a tightening in your stomach as you can't help but think that you might have just ruined your whole friendship. You turn about to leave the pond when Newt grabs your arm and pulls you back. He holds your shoulders and just stares at you for a minute his expression unreadable. "New-" Your words are cut short by his lips crashing into yours. Your eyes fly open in surprise but then close as you fall deeper into the kiss. Newt pulls you into his chest kissing you passionately. Then he pulls away with a smile on his face, breath ragged. 

"well goodnight," He says letting go of your shoulders.

"w-what?" You stutter feeling your body cool where his hands left.

"goodnight?" He says tilting his head in question.

"no the other thing what was that" You watch his cheeks become red and see him squirm in sudden embarrassment.

"a kiss?" He says rubbing the back of his head.

"No no no the stopping part," You say leaning back in feeling his lips turn upwards into a smile against your kiss.

"Bloody finally" You hear him mumble so you pull away.

"What do you mean finally...you knew!" You say playfully smacking his chest.

"yes" He laughs.

"how?"

"Minho told me about a week ago"

"that betraying shank" You mutter in shock. Newt wraps his hands around your waist and pulls you closer to him.

"Something good came out of it though" He whispers into your ear giving you butterflies.

"that it did," You say before leaning in to kiss him one last time.