Nightshift

Ellie POV

I was on nightshift with Sam, Penny, and Arnold. I always enjoy spending time with my mentor Sam. We are in the garage cleaning Jupiter, and he's telling me about an old story with him and Elvis back when Penny was new to the Pontypandy team; I wasn't really paying attention. I feel quite bad, though. I always ask Sam for story's, and he is still happy to apply.

I can't stop thinking about Arnold, and I don't know why but he has been off recently, well, at least around me and not anyone else. Did he not like me or something? I know that's not true. I mean, he likes me were co-workers and neighbors. Why is he being so awkward around me he always is but.

"Ellie? Earth to Ellie. Are you alright?" I heard Sam say. "Yeah, Sam. I'm fine." I said while Turing towards him. "You sure? You've been cleaning the same spot for the last 5 minutes." Huh oh, I have been. I watched Sam lean against Jupiter in the way that he does. "I have a lot on my mind I guess." I put the sponge back into the bucket.

"Do you want to tell me about it? It always helps to talk." Sam's always like this. Always willing to help and lessen on and off duty. "Do you think Arnold hates me?" I blurted without thinking.  "What brings that up, Ellie? Of course he doesn't hate you." My mentor told me. I said that allowed, didn't I? I really want to dig a hole and hide in it right now. "I know Sam. Arnold's just been acting really strange around me recently and I want to know why." Sam nodded.

"Go on, I've got all night." There is no getting out of this now. "Well recently he has been avoiding me, Sam, we haven't hung out in weeks. Sam it's driving me crazy." He started to chuckle. "You're not helping Sam." "Do you like him?" That caught me off hard. "Yeah like him of course I like him he was my classmate and I work with him." Sam just chuckled again. "Ellie I mean do you Fancy him?" Huh? I do not he is just a friend one who is slightly attractive but just a friend. I shook my head no.
"You sure Ellie? How do you feel about him?"

"Well, he's smart, kind, funny. I always enjoy being around him, he always makes me smile in the weirdest of ways. When we're together outside of work he makes me feel a little nervous and gitty." I stop talking and placed my hand on my mouth and Sam was trying to stuffle his laughter. I felt my eyes widen.

"Oh no, I have a crush on Arnold." Sam started laughing and I felt his hand on my shoulder. "I had a feeling you might." I looked up at my mentor. "I have a crush on Arnold." I'm still trying to get used to the idea. I haven't liked anyone since six forms. Wow, I fancied Arnold.

"How about I go make the four of us some tea." I nodded. Sam started to moved climb the stairs meaning that I was alone. I can't believe Sam knew before I did. Well, he often does that. I follow Sam up the stairs. I looked up to see Penny and Arnold at the kitchen table. Arnold is writing something down in the same notes he had since the academy. I moved over to him.

"You going through your notes again?" Arnold looked up at me. "Yeah just making sure I remember everything." I giggled as I sat next to him, in the corner of my eye I saw penny put down her book. "What?" Arnold asked. "Nothing just reminds me of that field trip." He cricked his head.

"What field trip we went on lots together." He said going back to his notes. "When we went to the living history museum our professor said to be prepared and you practically re-read the entire textbook. You knew more than the poor tour guide."

Sam and penny both have confused looks. "In literature lessons, you weren't much better. When we went to go see Romeo and Juliet and you basically had the entire play memorized." I felt myself roll my eyes. "We had to read it as an assignment Arnold." He huffed and turned to look at me.

"Then explain the odyssey you quoted the lines as they were happing. We defiantly did not half to read that or I would have remembered." I started to say something I- How did he know I did that? We weren't exactly friends in 6 forms, we shared classes, and had extra curriculars like band and theater, but we never hung out.

"I guess we all had our interests." I told him. Sam placed a cup of tea in front of me, I immediately  placed my hands around it. "You two went to the same school?" Sam said as he set a tea in front of Penny. "Yeah, Arnold and I were in the same year too." Penny looked up at us.

"How come you two never told us that?" I felt Arnold's gaze on me. "It never came up." We somehow managed to say at the same time. I lifted my cup and started to take a sip. The Alarm! I watched as Penny jumped up and ran into the command center. I set my tea down and ran over to the pole. I looked at Arnold then turned to Sam for instruction.

"A car has gone off the Newtown road and is stuck in the sheep field." I heard Penny's voice. "Ellie your with me, Arnold you go in Venus. Ellie, we're in Jupiter." "Roger that Sam!" I flicked on the sirens as we pulled out of the garage and onto the road. We passed the Flood's house in a matter of minutes. As we pulled closer to the scene. The car came in closer view. this wasn't good. The car had spined out and is pinned to the gate of the field. "Sam." he looked at me. "Yes, Ellie." "I think the driver is stuck inside." I noticed that we had come to a stop.

"I think your right, Ellie." I felt myself hit the ground. I don't think i could ever get used to that. Arnold had ran up to were we were. "Arnold I need you and Ellie to be ready for a fire." I nodded. "Roger that Sam." I ran over towards the firehose. We plugged them both in and stud near the car. I could see Sam talking to the driver.

"Ellie! Arnold! be ready." before I could think about what I was doing I had my hand on the pully thingy I always forget what the technical name is. I saw Sam jump out of the car door with the driver who looked very familiar to me. good timing too, because red flames lit up my visor. I was wondering if the car engine was about to explode. I felt myself shift my attention to the hood of the car itself. We had finally realized the fire was finally put out. I learned the breath I didn't even know I was holding and it looked like Arnold did to. I lifted my visor to get a better look at the sticky foam covered car.

"Ellie? Arnold? Is that you?!" I set my hose down and turned. Oh no. "It's nice to see you, Ellie!" Johnathan, we had dated for about a year back in 6th form. He said moving closer to me, I felt Arnold stiffen next to me. "It's nice to see you too." he nodded. "And you Arnold, a Firefighter now that's not where I expected you to be." He said giving him a pat on the shoulder. I saw Arnold give him an uncomfortable smile. "Ellie, glad to see you're doing well really should I thank the both of you." before I managed to say anything else, "Ellie, Arnold. Why don't you introduce me to this friend of yours." I could feel myself cringe at that and It looked like Arnold did too. "Sam this is Johnathan, He was a classmate of ours.''

I really wanted to get back to the fire station now. "Ah I see, Why don't you two clean up while I make sure Jonathans alright whilst we wait for the tow truck." I nodded and I quickly got to work. I found my self taking a elongated glance at my co-worker. I placed the heavy yellow hoses back into the truck, and saw yellow flashing lights. I have never been more relived to see a tow truck in my life until now. I pulled my self back into Jupiter and I saw Arnold do the same with Venus. I felt my self relies a breath I didn't even know I had.

I was not prepared to run into one of my ex's, we had dated from the beginning of my 11th year to the start of my 12th year. We got into a large fight and that was that. It felt slightly humiliating to see him today. Sam jumped into the drivers seat. "You alright? You seemed tense. Something happened between you and John didn't it?" Ughh. He knows me to well. "We dated in 6 form. The break up wasn't exactly pretty, I have no idea why Arnold seemed upset." Sam nodded.

"I take the note that you don't want to talk about it?" I just managed to nod. The ride back grew extremely quiet; Sam and I usually chatted about one thing or another. I just placed my head on the door. I saw Sam glance at me from the corner of my eye. The ride back felt longer than it normally did. We pulled into the garage and I opened the door to hope down. I should check in with Arnold. Before I could he was upstairs. I hope he's alright.