For the Holidays - Part 5

Summary: In which there is no forgiveness or grudges. Only chance. "Okay, let's try."

WC: 1.3k

Tags/Warnings: Spencer Reid x GN!Reader, fake-dating, pining (so much pining), fluff, slight angst but not from unnecessary trauma, emotional-support Reader, reunion arc, song fic, FINAL PART

I can deal with the bad nights
When I'm with my baby, yeah
Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh

"So, what's the plan?"

Spencer runs a hand through his hair. "I'm not sure."

He really isn't. But that's because he isn't thinking.

It's not often a brilliant mind like Spencer's, usually if not always running, finds itself in a deep lull. For once, he's not contemplating his next step or calculating how to get the best possible outcome. He's not sprinting to be productive.

He's just... existing.

What a rarity.

In the dark, deserted library time has slowed to a stop. If cheery holiday tunes and the murmur of guests didn't continue to float down the halls, it's almost like you're in your own little time pocket. He imagines this is an alternate reality, one consisting of only the two of you; there's no unsubs to hurt you or tear you apart, rip you away from each other when you're just within reach. It's just the two of you, existing together.

Add the catharsis of crying and you warm against his side, it's the perfect sedative. He's completely lethargic.

He wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Unfortunately, no matter how much he wants to stay, all good things come to an end. Your little bubble pops when thunder crackles outside.

You watch him carefully. "Are you... ready to head back?"

Spencer nearly gives himself whiplash, snapping his head to you. You wince, not needing to see his face, hearing the betrayal in his voice. "What? Why would I want to go back?"

"Hey, it's just a suggestion," You put your hands up in defense, voice thoughtful as you shrug. "We did come for a reason, and here they are on a silver platter. I know it's not going exactly as you imagined it but—"

"Are you saying I should forgive them?" Forgive comes in a hiss.

You grimace. "What? No, that's not what I was saying. You heard Alexa."

He glances away, and he knows you catch the slight turn of his head because you're a profiler and you're trained. He's embarrassed; he'd been blindsided, disoriented, by his own rage and confusion that he couldn't register anything passed 'sorry'.

Understandable. You'd probably go into shock too if your childhood bullies dropped the retribution bomb over a decade later.

You continue, "Well if you'd been listening, you'd know they want to try to get to know you. Or at least understand you? I kind of get where they're coming from, but I don't think it'll do harm to give them a chance."

After a moment of deliberation, Spencer groans, "How is it between the two of us, you're the voice of reason?"

"Ha ha. Just because you're the genius doesn't make you always right."

"I never said I am!"

"Yeah but you were thinking it. Now come on, let's head back," You stand up and offer your hand. There's a flash of lightning, and for a second he catches your eyes, steadfast and dancing in the dark. Maybe you didn't give him an award-winning pep-talk, but the way you look at him makes him feel like he can survive the night at least.