Just a Rumor#2

"Princeton J. Exchange student, your room number is...Uhm...107. Wow, you've got a nice view there. Fantastic roommates too. It's close to the faculty's quarters, so, if you need any help, they are at your service always. But don't call them. Take all lefts from here and you will reach your designated room. Hope you enjoy it here."

The old lady whose spectacles are nothing more than a weight on her nose informed. But I know better than to recheck. And yes, my room number is 109.

I smiled at the old lady.

"I'm very grateful for your services, Mrs Namrata," I replied a little too formally because she looked at me warily for a whole minute.

"Warden ma'am to you." She replied curtly.

"Mrs Nam...sorry. Ma'am, can you let me know the timings-" She cut me off.

" The school works from morning 8:00 to evening 5:00 but you should be up by 5:00 and stand in the queue if you are willing to have a peaceful bath. No electronic gadgets are allowed. You have to do your laundry. Now please leave." She replied impatiently.

I nodded and paced towards the boys' quarter to check-in.

" Ah...106...107...108...109." I stood right at the door with 109.

"109?" A petite boy shouted at me.

I nodded in reply.

"Lucky you, man! Wait, are you the exchange student for the science group?" He inquired in an incredulous tone.

"Yup, I'm the one."

"You've got great looks there. But how are you this room's member? This room is strictly prohibited for boys in relationships. You have to face the consequences, man."

What?

"I am single."

"Don't lie to me, man. We already know the matter."

"I'm sorry I don't get you but I'm not lying. I don't have a girlfriend."

"Kriti told us everything about what you both are having. You came for her, right?"

"K-what?"

"Kriti, your girlfriend. She's a real epic. She's been my crush since grade 9. You're lucky, man. See you." And he was off to wherever his delusional mind was leading him to.

I have a girlfriend and I don't even know her name. Wow.

Do I have an impostor? I don't care. I've got enough problems with people like me by the way.

I got inside the room and...wow, what a view. This so-called view from the only window just included the school's bushy ground and the aesthetic building. The ground was occupied by girls having a badminton match. I understood the real meaning behind that lady's words.

"Wow, what a view." A raspy voice echoed my thoughts.

"Don't you think it's wrong to watch them like-"

"Calm down, bro. She's my girlfriend currently in a different major and I miss her. So it's not a big crime to watch her. My eyes are for her alone." He pointed at a girl wearing red sportswear and she waved at us.

"But I heard that this room is for singles. How come-" He interrupted me again.

"I paid the originals."

He continued when he noticed the puzzled look on my face.

"We give some exotic food for the original room members in exchange for the view."