Spensa's Suprise Part 3

------Jorgen's POV------

I grabbed the bag and lowered it onto the ground, then hopped out of M-Bot. "Thank the stars you brought food, I barely had time for an algae bar after training this morning." I said as my stomach grumbled.

Spensa smiled a bit sheepishly and ducked her head. "I was worried you'd think it was lame" she mumbled.

"What? No!" I exclaimed, surprised. "This is such a cute idea, Spin." I grabbed her hand as we started walking away from M-Bot. We'd landed several meters from the cave entrance, which was marked by several rocks rising above the dusty surface. My heart twinged at the thought of Spensa calling this her home for all those months in flight school, while the rest of the flight had been in relative luxury in the dormitories on base. She must have felt so alone. I squeezed her hand and pulled her in beside me so I could put my arm around her. She stiffened at first, but relaxed as we fell into step together in an easy silence the rest of the walk to the cave.

"Let me go down first, I know the way" Spensa said, stepping ahead of me as the small opening became visible. She squeezed in between the rocks, clicking a button on her bracelet to produce a small light to navigate with. I leaned in behind her, putting my hands on the smooth, cool rocks, watching as she deftly lowered herself into the cave.

"Throw me the bag" she called. I grabbed the duffle and gently dropped it into the cave. Using the light that Spensa shone onto the rocks for me, I climbed down after her, jumping the last few feet to land with a thump beside her. The air smelled musty and had a damp feel to it. Now that I was inside, I could see the cave opened up a little further along, and there was more light in the distance.

Spensa had taken off already with the bag of supplies, not waiting for me as I took in our surroundings. "Hey, wait for me!" I called, jogging to catch up with her. As we stepped into the larger area, I could see signs of her living there previously. There were a few snares along the walls and what looked like a makeshift crossbow in the corner? Yep, seemed about right for Spensa.

Looking up, there was a suspiciously round hole in the top of the cavern. "How did that get there?" I asked Spensa, pointing upwards.

"M-Bot needed to get out one day" she said, shrugging her shoulders. "He used to conceal it from above with a hologram, so he'd stay hidden." She knelt next to the bag we'd brought and started pulling out the contents. A large, fluffy blanket came out first, and she handed it to me. "Here, make yourself useful, Jerkface."

Stars, still that delightful nickname she'd given me. I grinned at her as I took the blanket and started spreading it out in what seemed to be the flattest area. "What did I ever do to deserve that callsign?" I asked, half-jokingly.

Spensa raised her eyebrows and smirked. "Do you really want to get into this?" she asked.

Settling down onto the blanket, I watched as she brought over some parcels of food and a canteen of steaming liquid. "Yeah, I want to know" I said automatically, realizing it was something I'd been thinking about.

Spensa plopped down beside me and started opening the parcels. She chewed on her lip for a moment, glancing at me uncertainly. "You were just so irritating. I'd never met someone so entitled before" she admitted.

I pretended to take an arrow in the chest, acting wounded and sprawling on my back. "you really know how to flatter a guy, Spin" I said wryly.

"The worst part is you were so irritatingly right all the time!" She laughed, poking me in the shoulder. "You just made me so mad, but you flew so well and that made it worse."

"I made YOU mad?" I sputtered, "Think of how I felt! You were such a headache in flight school!"

She leaned over me, asking softly, "And what about now?" Forgetting about the food, she stroked a hand over my hair and gazed down at me. Her touch sent a shiver down my spine and I blinked at her as a warm feeling pooled into my chest.

"You....are..." I breathed, "....still a headache." I grinned, sitting upright as her mouth dropped open and she punched me lightly.

"Way to ruin a sweet moment!" She turned back to the food. "Maybe you don't get any sandwiches now. Sandwiches are for people who aren't Jerkfaces." She started eating one, dangling the rest away from me with her free hand. I grabbed the canteen instead and sniffed at the algae aroma coming from it.

"mmm I'll just have to eat all the soup then" I teased.

We ate our food quickly, both realizing how hungry we were from the activities of the morning. Spensa finally relinquished my half of the sandwiches, which I gulped down gratefully.

Handing me the water canteen, Spensa said "This probably isn't exactly what you're used to."

I took a swig. "What do you mean?"

"You know," she blushed. "For a date. What do you usually do for dates?"

I thought back. I hadn't really been on many, and nothing had ever really worked out. "Well," I said slowly, "I've been on a few boring dinner dates with people my parents wanted to set me up with back in the lower caverns. I don't know if that counts."

"That's more than me at any rate" she replied. Gesturing to the surroundings she added, "I'm not really ...familiar....with this. Doing this and...feeling this way."

"Really?" I asked. "No one ever caught your interest? You're so amazing though."

Frowning, she looked down at her hands in her lap and said in a small voice, "No one wanted to hang out with the coward's daughter, much less date her."

"What about Rodge?" I pointed out.

Her mood shifted, "Eeeew, he's basically my brother. Besides, dating would have hurt my aww-inspiring, terrifying, almighty warrior image."

Chuckling, I scooted beside her. "For what it's worth, I'm not familiar with this either."

Spensa looked at me, her eyebrows furrowing in her perfect face. I gazed into her violet eyes and felt a welling of emotion as I realized just how much I cared about this girl. I brushed a stray piece of hair behind her ear and lingered, savoring the feel of her soft skin beneath my hand. Slowly, I brought my lips to hover just above her cheek and whispered, "Spensa, you..." I gently kissed her skin "...Are..." I moved to her other cheek, ".....Amazing.". Drawing back slightly, I held her face in my hands and looked at her, trying to find more words to explain how I felt.

"Spensa" I murmured. "I love you."