4

Annabeth woke up in her bed in Cabin #6 completely exhausted, very groggy, and covered in sweat. She jolted upright at the sound of the morning conch, the blanket Percy stitched her falling off her bed.

She glanced down at her clothes with a frown.

Orange Camp shirt. Dirty.

Torn jean shorts. Also dirty.

Her shoes were still on and crusted with dry mud.

Why was she still wearing her clothes? Why hadn't she changed before she'd gone to bed?

Annabeth frowned as her heart thudded in her chest. Now that she thought about it, she didn't remember going to bed last night or even going back to Athena's Cabin after hanging out with Percy all day at the climbing wall and later in the infirmary after Annabeth nearly burned her eyebrows off.

Annabeth knocked on the seashell covered door of Poseidon's cabin. "Percy!" She called, but did not receive a response. "Percy! It's time for breakfast, let's go." Again, no response. Annabeth let out an annoyed breath and opened the door. "You are the heaviest sleeper I know, Seaweed Brain. Come on—"

Annabeth flipped on the lights and was met with nothing. The six bunks of the Poseidon cabin were completely bare, excerpt one. The light flannel sheets were neatly made on the small twin bed, no indention on Percy's pillow. She wasn't here. Several theories ran through her mind all at once, none very convincing.

Maybe she got up early and already went to breakfast.

No. She would've gone to wake you up. You always eat together.

Maybe she went to the beach. Go check the Sound.

No. She wouldn't have made her bed. She would've left a note.

Check for a note. Annabeth went to the wall above the head of Percy's bed. Several photos of Percy with Annabeth, Grover, Tyson, Thalia, and Rachel Dare were taped against the weathered wood. Notes of things to remember (one of those things being Annabeth's birthday and a recipe for salmon), crafts from when Percy would go to the Arts & Crafts pavilion with Tyson, and letters from her mom, Sally, were all tacked to the wall, but no notes that Annabeth hadn't seen a hundred times. Annabeth glanced at Percy's usually messy bedside table. It was completed clean and bare.

Something wasn't right about this room. The absence of mess, the made-up bed, the absence of the smell of the sea. Percy hadn't been here at all.

Annabeth strode towards the Big House, younger campers parting wordlessly at her determined stride and expression. She fiddled with the hilt of her dagger and she climbed the steps to the porch of the large blue house. Chiron, Grover, and Mr. D were sitting in lawn chairs, happily playing a game of pinochle. Well, happy in Chiron and Mr. D's perspective. Grover nervously tapped his hooves against the wooden porch floor and stole glances at Mr. D's Diet Coke can.

"Stop eyeing my coke, Goat Boy. It's your turn," Mr. D snapped.

Chiron's head turned to face Annabeth as she made it to the top of the steps. He smiled warmly at her, "Annabeth, how are you this fine morning?" At the sound of Annabeth's name, Grover anxiously bleated and turned away from his friend.

"Fine. Do you know where Percy is? I checked in her cabin. She's not there and it's weirdly clean," Annabeth answered.

Mr. D snorted. "It's probably clean because Penelope isn't there."

Chiron shot him a disapproving look, and then turned his attention back to the daughter of Athena. "No, I have not seen Percy today. How odd," he mused. Annabeth's heart sank.