Only Chapter

The day of the fire.

I was woken by my mom.Her tearstained face was the first thing I saw on that foggy Sunday morning. "Come on,honey,"she said,taking my hand,"There's been a fire.At Mia's house".At those words my heart jumped into my throat.My legs got tangled in my blanket as I hurried out of bed."Gina!"I heard my mom call after me.But I kept running.Out the front door,onto the porch.Cold air chilled my skin and froze my bare feet within a few seconds.I clung to the porch railing.Across the street,a fire leaped into the sky.It engulfed my friend Mia's house...or at least what was left of it.A firetruck was parked on the curb,and a dozen or so men in heavy coats and boots stood in her yard,holding thick hoses and spraying water into the fire.I heard furious sizzles.Then I saw Mia.Sitting on the sidewalk in smoke-stained pajamas.Her head was in her hands.I ran to her."Mia!Mia! I'm here!"I cried.She heard me and lifted her head.Her cheeks were wet with tears.She held out her hands to me,and we hugged."Where's your mom?"a second after the question left my mouth,a heavy feeling filled my stomach.Mia sobbed loudly.Her shoulders shook."Oh,Mia...I'm...I..."I couldn't speak.Our tears dripped onto the curb.

"Girls,"I heard a gruff voice say, "What!"I replied loudly,angrily.I didn't mean to."I..I found this.Saved it from the fire".Mia and I both turned. A tall,bulky fireman had his arm held out,fist closed.From his hand dangled a small,delicate heart-shaped locket.Mia let out a strangled cry as she seized it from him.She cupped it in her hands,gently brushing soot off of it,then pressed the necklace to her chest,crying more than ever.This necklace was her mother's.