Chapter 1: Home

A ray of sunlight peeked through the curtains as morning had come. All three of the kids were fast asleep in their beds. It was nearly silent in the house, with the only sounds being the light sizzling of the eggs, and the sound of a cheery robin on a gentle breeze coming through a window that had been left slightly ajar. Morning was tranquil and peaceful.

Dahlia prepared the bacon and eggs on 3 separate plates, and poured a glass of milk, a glass of orange juice, and a cup of hot cocoa. The aroma spread throughout the entire house, waking up the family cat who had come downstairs, hungry for a hearty breakfast. Precious, who was a chubby little tabby cat, waited patiently next to her food bowl. Dahlia stood up on her tippy toes to reach for the cat food in the cabinet. Precious gets excited upon hearing the familiar shuffle of the cat food bag, and circles around Dahlia's feet.

"Good morning, Precious!" Dahlia smiles brightly.

It's 7:30am when Dahlia creeks up the stairs to wake up the children. She begins by slowly opening the door just a tiny crack, and immediately grins upon seeing all the kids peacefully asleep. She enters the room and proceeds to open up the curtains, inviting in plenty of sunshine and brightness to start off the day. All of the kids grunt and toss themselves under the sheets, blocking out the new light source. Dahlia gently nudges each of the children in hopes that they would wake up, but to no avail. She laughs to herself and leaves the room to get something. Not too long after, she comes back with a wooden flute- this flute in particular, is enchanted with something called a "wake up spell". Without any hesitation, Dahlia blows into the flute with all her might, and lets out an ear-splitting screech. With that, all of the kids jolt awake from their comatose state, and scramble to get ready for the day.

The house is no longer serene once the children are up. Eliana, Gryffin, and Lillyan quarrel over the bathroom they all share together. Clothes are tossed, neatly folded from the closet, to wrinkled on the ground. All the kids rush to get dressed up in their uniforms and make it on time for the schoolbus without having to skip breakfast.

"Hey! You went first yesterday, it's my turn!" Lillyan hollered across the room to Eliana.

"Too bad, it's not my fault that you're too slow!" Eliana sticks out her tongue.

"What do you mean? It's my turn!" Gryffin shoves past Eliana.

All three of them are brushing their teeth and getting dressed simultaneously. Gryffin barricades Lillyan and Eliana and spits out his toothpaste into the sink. Eliana glares at him with anger and frustration.

"You bozo!" She yells, crossing her arms.

Fortunately, all of the kids made it out of the war zone alive and well. The three of them rush down the stairs and are greeted by a delicious meal. Dahlia picks up Precious and moves her onto her own lap while she asks the kids what they were looking forward to the most on the school day.

Eliana grins, slowing down to answer excitedly.

"We're doing fractions today! But Kaeden won my class a buncha stars, so we get to use real dough to do it! Plus- plus we're starting our channeling lessons next week, so today, Mrs. Fiona says that we're gonna try and link with our spirits! Isn't that so cool? Tell me, that's so cool right?!" Eliana asks as she stabs a strip of bacon with her fork.

Dahlia agrees indulgently, keeping a close eye on the antique grandfather clock in the corner. She has the children's school bags next to their shoes by the door, and is ready to usher them out of the house once she hears the rumbling exhaust of the schoolbus. Luckily, the children finish their plates early, and Dahlia helps them prepare to leave, handing them their water bottles and checking to see if their collars were pressed, their shirts tucked in. The other neighborhood children call out once the bus rounds the corner, and Eliana, Lillyan and Gryffin are making a mad dash for the door, swinging their bags over their shoulders. Dahlia watches them hopscotch down the square tiles of granite outlining the dirt pathway to claim the last three spots in line for the bus. Dahlia leans against the doorframe, watching them leave with a fond expression. They each wave goodbye once they board the bus, earning an affectionate smile from Dahlia. The bus pulls away from home.

Dahlia returns to the house, quiet without the kids, waving good mornings to her neighbors. It's nice out today, Dahlia thought to herself, watching as a woman ran up to her husband carrying his hastily-made lunch. The husband chuckles and kisses her on the cheek before picking up his briefcase and leaving for his work that day. Dahlia sighs and closes the front door, careful not to disturb the neat row of tulips Eliana planted for her last spring. She makes her way to the living room and lays down on the sofa. For a while, she stares up at the large framed picture of her family- Eliana, Gryffin, Lillyan, and herself. She reaches out her hand and gestures for Precious to come join her. The chubby cat kisses her hands before leaping onto the sofa and curling up on Dahlia's lap.

The school bus is loud and lively. The bus driver yells at the kids to quiet down and for them to get into their seats. The students don't pay any mind to the bus driver's instructions and toss an apple across the rows like a handball. Eliana, Gryffin and Lillyan grin at each other, and slide into one of the front seats uncaring of the 'two-people-per-seat' rule.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was well known that Mrs. Fiona was one of the student favorites in the school, as she took the lower classes for 7 year olds, along with musical theory and chorus. From her bright flowy scarves and skirts, to her cheerful classrooms and point system many of the students enjoyed her classes. Today, Mrs. Fiona is dressed in a bright yellow blouse and a ruffled white collar, paired with a long petal skirt in swatches of navy, charcoal, cerulean and ash. Her door is wide open as her students gradually file into the classroom. Mrs. Fiona stands near the front of the room, the back facing the mass of empty group tables in the center. For a while, all that's left of the tranquil air is the sound of chalk across a blackboard and the screeching wheels of metal carts in the hallway. And thus, another school day began.