Dr. Straus

July 29:  I found Charlie Gorden’s final progress report early this morning after Ms. Kinian called.  He left.  I should have been more careful. I should have read his report.  I was so angry that he, a mentally retared 37 year old man, was smarter than me, a NEUROSURGEON!!!  How could I have been so stupid?  He might die. And I knew this was going to happen.  I read his report, but I was too selfish to publish it.  He could have been famous.  Maybe he would have stayed, or at least gotten something out of it.  But no, I just had to be the selfish jerk that I am.  This could have helped him.  I was so incredibly stupid!!!   How could I have missed this especially after Algernon died?  I guess I figured he would die and no one would care. He didn’t have friends or a family… but he could have.  This is all my fault.  I had taken advantage of him. Even though he was retardened, I could see it in his eyes that he didn’t care if it hurt he just wanted to be smart, average and especially loved.  

August 2:  He died.  I have nothing to prove anymore.  Ms. Kinnain is a wreck and so are half of the staff.  They all loved Charlie.  I wish I could have saved him.  I wish I was smart enough. He didn’t die because of the surgery.  He killed himself.  He sent a letter. Reading… “I am so sory, but I can’t hadle not remeberig anyting. I kep forgetting who i am. This isnt how i thot i was goig tu di. But i cant handl the fact that i dont know anything abot  wat i learned.  If i had the chas to do it agan i wold, but for the tim beig, godby.”  I cried. I can’t remember the last time I cried.  I should have tried harder to save him, but Goodbye Charlie Gorden you didn’t deserve any of this, being a retardeed person, or killing yourself.  You deserved to have a wife and a family, friends and a good job.  But instead you got this and I am sorry I couldn't help.  I am sorry it didn’t work. I am sorry you were put through this in the first place.  And I believe that you, Charlie Gorden will finally be at peace after this.  There was one thing I think you would have wanted.  So by this week you will be buried with your best friend, Algenon.  I will bring flowers to you and Flowers For Algenon.