late night calls

It had been a while.

The last call, Harry was 15, Louis was 16.

They loved each other.

But it wasn't meant to be

Yet.

Harry was now 18 and Louis 19.

Louis needed him right now, Liam and Zayn were sleeping on the floor in his room. They hadn't left his side all day which was good he needed them but he also needed Harry. His contact was easy to find it was still in his favourites, he was never strong enough to move it from there let alone delete it. He quickly walked out the room so he wouldn't wake the other two.

He went out to the back garden and sat against the wall. It was ringing, he waited. Deep down he hoped that Harry would answer straight away but he knew it was late, Harry was probably asleep. Even if he was awake he probably wouldn't answer, just as he was about to end the call it went silent. He heard soft breathing through the phone although it was a little bit shaky.

"Louis?"

Louis' heart flipped at the sound of his voice and every moment of their friendship came flooding back to him. The butterflies, the pretend butterflies. For the first time that day he smiled as his hand rested over his stomach.

"Harry"

He heard Harry take a deep breath, part of him hoped that Harry had felt the same as he just did.

"I'm sorry for calling you, this was a mistake, I should hang up" Louis then said realising that Harry probably didn't care about him after all these years and he should burden him. "No, please, stay" Harry said quickly.

"Harry?"

"Louis"

"She's gone" Louis finally said as he let tears fall from his eyes again. This day had just been a whole day of crying. "Louis, what happened, who is gone?" Harry asked, his voice was so calming Louis took a deep breath "my mum, she died last night" he whispered. There was silence for a bit and then there was a small sound, was he crying? "I'm so sorry Louis" Harry said, Louis had heard his voice enough times to know that he was crying as he spoke.

"Why are you crying? Are you okay?" Louis asked softly as he wiped away his own tears, "I'm sorry, I just. I don't know. Your mum meant a lot to me as well and I'm sad that I haven't seen her in a while. I'm sad that I'm not there with you. I'm sad because I missed you guys so much and I really wanted to come see you all but I never did. I'm just really sorry Louis I know how much you loved her. Anyways you shouldn't be asking if I'm okay I should be asking you" Harry said. Louis smiled slightly.

"You missed me?" He asked, Harry sighed "so much" he admitted. "I missed you Harry" Louis said, "you were my best friend" Harry whispered, "and you are mine" Louis replied. "Are?" Harry questioned, "you will always be my best friend Harry whether you want to or not" Louis said managing to laugh. He heard Harry giggle, 3 years and this means voice has gotten so deep yet his giggle is still the same. "I'm sorry"

"Harry please stop apologising. We were young okay. I was never angry or mad or anything, you were hurt and you didn't deserve that so I understand why you stopped calling. You didn't want them to hurt you anymore" Louis said, "that's not why I stopped calling" Harry said quietly. Before Louis could ask why he spoke again "so why did you call me tonight, surely you much rather talk to Zayn and Liam about this" he questioned.

"They are sleeping on my bedroom floor right now, they have been with me all day but I just wanted to speak to you I'm sorry, you didn't need to be involved with all of this" Louis sighed. "I'm glad you called me, I wish I was there I don't really know how to comfortable people over the phone" Harry explained apologetically. "It's fine. If you want to sleep just let me know but maybe we can just talk for a bit, if you are okay with that?" Louis asked, his heart was beating so fast as he feared the rejection.