Love Games

Introduction .

It's been twenty years now. But I still remember it vividly. As vividly as the night I broke my virginity. My dignity.

It was at the Central Cafeteria one cloudy Sunday afternoon. I had gone there to swallow a few spoonfuls of plain rice and wash it down with a bottle of soft drink. And that was where and when I saw her for the first time. The cafeteria was uncharacteristically empty; the semester was withering and the "hunger week" that preceded vacation turned every student, except a few "richpapis", into an economist. That, perhaps, partly explained why the cafeteria , which was usually fizzing with activities, was so empty.

I had barely finished placing an order when she entered and occupied another empty table. Hers was three tables away from mine and I could have joined her, but that also meant that I do what was gentlemanly. Unfortunately, however, I had very limited cash and could not afford to pay for what she would order. So I sat where I sat, cursing myself for not being prepared enough to utilize the rarest opportunity that ever came my way.

Soon, we were both at our meals. I had to display exaggerated table mannerisms in case she looked my direction. I wanted her to know that she had my attention but that ought to be professional. We ate in silence.

Outside the cafeteria, dark, sinister clouds were gathering. They were scudding hurriedly towards the back of shulk Library as if they had an emergency meeting there to attend. I hadn't got much to do that day and so whether there was rain or no rain I didn't care. All that I badly needed was God should answer my prayer. There would never be a better opportunity for me to interact with that Princess of Beauty than the two of us being trapped inside the almost empty cafeteria by the rain. And who says God doesn't answer silent prayers? At least I remembered that no sound parted Hannah's lips at Shiloh, but God heard her and gave her Samuel. On this day, too, God heard me pray in my heart and He opened the flood gates of heaven. It rained elephants and hippos, for cats and dogs are too tiny to fit the description of the heavy torrent that poured as if God had emptied all water reservoirs in heaven.

To be continued....

.read more to know whether I had the gutts to go sit by her to make my move or Just sat alone on my unconfortable chair cursing myself