Prologue

Once upon a time, in a faraway land, a young prince named Dipper Gleeful lived in a shining mansion. Although he had everything his heart desired, he was spoiled, selfish, and unkind. But then, one winters night, an old begger woman came to the mansion and offered him a single red rose in return for shelter from the trembling cold. Repulsed by her hagged appearance, the prince sneered at the gift and turned her away.

She warned him not to be deceived by appearances, for beauty is found within. When he dismissed her again, the old woman's ugliness melted away to reveal a beautiful enchantress. Dipper begged and tried to apologize but it was too late, for she had seen there was no love in his heart. As punishment, she transformed him into a hideous beast, and placed a powerful spell on the mansion and everyone who lived there. Ashamed by his monstrous form, the beast concealed himself inside the mansion with his magic amulet his only window to the outside world.

The rose she had offered him was truly an enchanted rose, which would bloom until his twenty first year. If he could learn to love another, and earn their love in return before the last petal fell, the spell would be broken. If not, he would remain a beast for all time. As the years passed, he fell into despair, and lost all hope. I mean, who could ever learn to love a beast?