Chapter. 5

"Chris?" I asked, baffled. "What're you doing here?"

Chris took a deep breath, "I wanted to talk to you. It's urgent," he said, his voice husky.

"Okay sure," I said.

Chris sighed, "Since you're deciding to do some bit of private investigation, there's something you should know."

I waited for what was next. Chris ran a hand through his hair, "The night before the wedding; Rhea came to visit me."

"What!" I exclaimed in disbelief. "Rhea came to see you?"

Chris nodded, "She was acting strange. My parents and sisters were out so I let her in. She was so scared Sofia. She was sobbing and all, I tried to calm her down but she didn't. She told me how much she loved me and before leaving in haste, she left me this." He said and fished out a paper from his pocket.

"Here's your first clue," Chris said with a weak smile as he handed me the paper and walked away. I opened the paper and saw a word scrawled on it,

Glistern

I stared at the word for a minute, and then thrust the paper in my bag's front pocket. I remembered Tanya and immediately called Michael. He answered on the second ring,

"Hey Fia, what's up?"

"Michael, how do I say this? Um, so....you might not believe this but...Tanya..." I stammered and Michael seemed surprised, "Fia, Fia calm down. What happened to Tanya?" I took a deep breath, "She sort of went missing." I said.

Michael laughed, "Good for us."

I sighed, "I'm not joking hawk-face. It's been a week and Tanya hasn't come to work. It's very unlikely of her to take a leave, you know. And earlier today at work, everyone else could see Tanya; only I couldn't." I said gravely.

"Well what if your boss and the others are playing a joke on you? A prank?" he suggested and I sighed, "I thought that too, please believe me." I said.

There was a pause before Michael said, "I believe you. Tell you what, I'll see you tomorrow in school then we'll discuss it. Okay?" he asked and I said okay.

One of the many things I love about my best friends, no matter how weird my talks may sound; they always believe me.

There's another problem; one case hasn't closed up when another one opened up. Rhea's murder mystery remains unsolved and boom; Tanya goes missing. My life is so messed up, literally messed up.

. . .

"Sofia!!" I heard my mom's voice call from downstairs. I groaned to myself and rolled out of my comfortable bed. I neatly tucked the sheets into the headboard.

"Sofia!" she called again.

"I'm up!" I yelled back. The cabinets opened and closed downstairs, the sounds of her frantically preparing breakfast. I took a quick shower and as I wrapped a towel around my wet body; I heard mom call again. I ignore her and opened my wardrobe door. Mom is very strict about school, its timings, grades and stuff. I put on a purple tee-shirt and black jeans, with of course my jacket.

"Sofia Bell!" my mom called again. I quickly grabbed my schoolbag and rushed downstairs; "I'm coming mom! Please don't call my name again." I said as I entered the kitchen, immediately my face lit up. Michael and Elena were sitting around the dining table, grinning at me like 5 year olds. Elena stood up and pulled me in a hug, "Fia I missed you soo much!" she said and I smiled, "I missed you more."