Part 1

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since. ‘One does not try unless they can’t try anymore’, this advice always perplexed me as I never understood my father, but hearing this one phrase baffled my younger curiosity, to the extent to which I got myself stuck on the branch of a talk oak tree next to my schools building, reaching for a photograph which was directly on top of the tree.

Why did I get stuck up here, you ask? Well… it started when I was on the schools roof with my Polaroid camera, taking pictures of the school grounds, when I started to lean over the roof tops railing. One of the pictures I just took flutters from my camera directly on top of an oak tree next to the school building, below where I had taken the photo. Being me I decided to leave all my stuff on the roof and scale up the tree on a mission to reclaim my fallen photograph. But I got stuck in a ‘bendy’ situation.

I desperately reached for the roof top railing, but to no avail as I was too far away from the railing to reach, let alone jump it. Eventually I ended up stuck on the branch with my back against the tree singing random songs that popped into my head from photograph to I write sins not tragedies. I seem a bit to calm at the moment but this is because I often wind up in sticky situations like this so I'm used to waiting around for others to come help me.

Most times I wait around an hour to three hours for someone to realise where I am and help me out. But on special occasions when I get my trousers hooked onto a tree root, which could rip my trousers off my legs with enough force, I end up waiting a whole night before someone realises I'm not home. Sometimes my dad just doesn't understand that when I message him, 'Kinda stuck in a forest, can u come get me?', that I want him to come and pick me up. But at least I learnt one lesson, don't go treking in the woods before or close to nightfall.