chapter three

zayn was currently laying down on his side on his bed, facing the wall. he heard the door open and close a few seconds later. a shadow caused by the moonlight shining through his window let him know that someone in fact was in his room.

"why didn't you tell me?" the voice said. he wanted to respond but he couldn't move anything on his body.

"why did you lie to me?" the voice was starting to get louder, meaner, and closer.

"why?!" the voice was now right beside his ear, causing zayn to flinch.

"tell me!" the voice shouted, harshly turning him so that he was lying on his back. his eyes shot up at how scary harry looked. both of his eyes turned entirely black, no white or green anywhere to be seen. he had veins popping out of his neck and hands, and his face was blood shot red.

he woke up, wheezing and sweating, looking around the room to make sure no one was in there. tears began falling rapidly down his face, he felt as if he couldn't breathe.

"harry!" he screamed, coughing and sobbing.

"harry!" he screamed one more time before his door was pushed open. a concerned and alert looking harry was standing at the door. he closed it behind him before walking over to zayn, sitting on the bed and wrapping his arms around his body. he had a hand in his hair and the other rubbing his stomach.

"shh, it's okay. you're okay." he said.

"what happened?" he asked, listening to zayn's sobs.

"y-you were y-yelling and you hurt m-me!" harry waited for a little while for zayn to calm down before responding to him. he whispered soothing words into his ear to calm him down and ran a hand through his long, dark hair.

"i'm not going to hurt you. you're safe."

"i know, but it was still scary. i couldn't move or say anything." he said.

"you're okay now. come on, i'll cook breakfast." harry told him. he helped zayn out of bed, holding one of his hands while the other was on his back.

"what do you want to eat?" harry asked.

"just an omelette. thank you."

"onions, cheese, and sausage right?" harry asked. he looked back at zayn, being met with wide eyes.

"what?" harry asked.

"you remembered." zayn mumbled, a slight redness rising on his cheeks.

"oh, yeah. i've been doing that a lot lately. it's kind of hard, like a piece of me is missing besides my memory." harry said as he took out the ingredients to make their omelettes.

"what do you mean?"

"i don't know, that's the point. i don't think it's a 'thing' because it feels bigger than that, like a person. i thought it was just that i haven't seen louis in a few days but i know it's not. life with louis feels kind of- forced." he shrugged.

"he hasn't been a big help at all either. anytime i ask him to help me with my memory, it's like he panics to change the subject. it's almost like he's hiding something from me." harry told him. zayn froze, he was scared to say anything. scared to look in his direction, scared that if he told the truth then his child's life would be at risk, alongside with his.

"zayn?" he looked up and hummed, letting harry know that he was listening.

"what happened on your wedding day? i only remember standing in front of a mirror, fixing my hair and suit." harry asked. zayn really wanted to help him but he couldn't, not with the four people threatening to take his child's live. he'd do anything for his baby.

"i did what most people do on their wedding day, i got married; to a very amazing, kind, beautiful, and generous man." zayn shrugged, looking down at the table in attempt to stop the tears that threatened to fall.

"you too?!" he exclaimed, quickly turning around and throwing his hands in the air dramatically. "absolutely no one is willing to help me."

he wasn't expecting the next two sentences that came out of zayn's mouth to mean so much to him. he didn't know how they did, and usually he'd be annoyed that zayn wasn't helping, but for some reason zayn's words meant a lot more than anyone else's. they felt right and what he was feeling after only confused him more than anything else.

"harry, you've always been a very independent person. if you want to figure out the last five years of your life, you will."