Leyla Rationally Regrets The Offer

A/N: I forgot that a lot of people make author's notes and I wanted to be cool so this is my a/n. I have no sense of creativity when it comes to chapter titles. I almost spelled titles as tittles. I don't know why this is important to state but it is.

"You got a job?"

"I'm trying to get a job." Leyla corrected, ready to start the first question on the packet. The default questions, like address and numbers, were already filled out.

Ava layed on Leyla's bed on their stomach, looking over Leyla's shoulder (who sat on the floor) trying to read the questions.

"'What is the maximum number of stars a creature can have and still be free in Duel Monsters?'" Ava read aloud. They drew back, confused, and scrunched their face. "What's Duel Monsters?"

Leyla scanned the question. What stars? What numbers? "Did they give me an application or a game trivia?" She murmured, turning over the second page. "'What is the only Magic Card that can be played during your opponent's turn?'" She clicked her tongue, checking each page. All the questions were concerning several games, and none about any working field whatsoever.

"What was the name of the store again?"

"Kame Game Shop." Leyla folded the packet back and placed it in a manilla folder. "I'll go over tomorrow and tell them they gave me the wrong application."

"Why do you even want to work there anyway?" Ava inquired, rolling onto their back. "You don't play a lot games."

"The boy there was cute." Leyla shrugged matter of factly. "It was worth it. The guy was desperate for helpers, anyway."

"That's kind of shallow, even if it's justified."

"You sound like Fatima." The girl muttered, placing the folder on the side table. "It'll be worth it, I'll meet my future husband."

Ava lifted a brow at Leyla's determination. "Good luck," they muttered. 

                                                                                 ***

"The wrong packet?" Yugi repeated, raising an eyebrow. "I don't think we gave you the wrong packet."

"Yugi, with all do respect, work applications don't usually ask their customers the restrictions of strong cards in a duel deck" Leyla was anything but patient at the moment. Both children had obviously returned from school, Yugi still in his blue uniform and Leyla in her polo and khaki dress code, and Leyla wasn't too patient to begin with.

Yugi stared at her for a moment, probably trying to analyze what she was saying, before he suddenly laughed and took the manilla folder from the girl, flipping the papers she received the other day. "Grandpa!" He called, walking over to the room behind the register counter. "Leyla came back!" He turned back to face her, grinning. "My grandpa...well...he wants to make sure his clients are educated so he can trust them."

"....Uh...huh." Leyla murmured, unimpressed. The old man must really be losing it. "Did you ever consider that there could be a thief out there who just happens to know how to play Mancala?" She asked casually.

If Yugi was perturbed by her words, he definitely didn't show it. "Nope," he replied lightly, a smile still plastered on his face. "My grandpa always says that a villain can only play the game, it's the hero that knows the game." He talked about Solomon Moto with such high respect that Leyla wondered if the boy was just as crazy as the old man.

"You already finished the packet?" Solomon Moto asked just before he emerged from the room behind the counter. "I'm impressed, I should just hire you on the spot." He joked lightly, sitting down next to the cash register.

"No, grandpa. Leyla actually needs some help with the application." Yugi supplied, placing his hand on said girl's shoulder.

If Leyla had the opportunity to faint at the reality of a cute boy voluntarily touching her non-violently, she would have at any other time. As of now, she was pretty irritated. It was over dramatic, but not completely irrational. "Excuse me," she said, shrugging of Yugi's hand. "I just...I don't know the games you're referring to in the packet." She pointed to a random question, reading it aloud. "'Which trap card automatically turns your opponent's defense into a mirror spell?' I don't know what a trap card is. I don't even know what's game this is."

She wasn't sure who gasped louder, Yugi or Solomon. Regardless, when she looked up, Leyla could tell her words either shocked them or offended them.

"You don't know the game?" Yugi asked incredulously, as if the fact wasn't already clarified. "Everyone knows the game!" He didn't bother to even say the title of the game before pointing to the box filled with packaged cards next to the register. Leyla remembered him saying yesterday that it was his favorite game and that his grandfather popularized it. Or something like that. "You never played that?" Yugi inquired once again, still pointing to the box while looking at the girl.

"I said I didn't know the game, didn't I?" Leyla muttered, giving up.

Solomon shook his head a bit, as if he heard someone he was close with passed away. "This is such disappointing news," he groaned. "I thought you were hire-worthy."

Leyla held in a deep breath, clasping her hands together. She took a moment, trying to calm down. "I don't believe that should impose on how hard of a worker I am." She finally said through gritted teeth, keeping her gaze low.

Solomon stopped and pondered her statement for a minute. If that wasn't enough motivation for Leyla to start an arson, who knew what was. Finally, the man rose from his seat.

"You're right," Solomon announced loudly, walking out from behind the register to pace. "But, I still demand that my workers are educated-"

"W-wait! Education?" Leyla repeated, tripping over her words. "Is that what this is about? Because I'm literate, y'know. I can read and write and do math-"

"Ah, psh. Not that kind of education," Solomon waved his hand dismissively. "I mean the important kind of education. Knowing your way around my store." The man talked of his shop as if it were a castle, but Leyla's interest was decreasing by the minute. "Anyway, as I was saying, I demand that my workers are educated. That's why I want you to be trained."