Chapter 23

"Otose-san, I'm sorry, but can I leave a little early today? I have somewhere I need to be."

The old woman glanced at her from behind the counter. The bar had been pretty busy that day, with alcoholics, homeless people, and all sorts of other Kabukicho characters coming by to drink away their sorrows and stir up trouble. As it had gotten later, though, things had calmed down a bit, and (F/N) was pretty sure Catherine and Tama would be enough to take care of the rest.

"Fine," Otose replied, "but don't stay out too late. I don't want people thinking you're some sort of shady character."

"Yes, Ma'am! Thank you!"

(F/N) hurried outside, and into the night. It had been a little over a week since she'd started working at the bar. The pay wasn't great, but she got to eat for free, and sleep in one of Otose's spare rooms, so to her, it was perfect. The old woman hadn't even asked any questions about (F/N)'s origins, or age, or even her surname, and every time the Mimawarigumi came around, she insisted she didn't even know anyone named (F/N). What were they talking about?

Over the course of her time there, (F/N) had a lot of time to contemplate things, and she'd come to a conclusion as to where Sougo could be. Even as she hurried there, though, breath heaving in her chest, she hoped she was wrong.

She wasn't.

Her feet skidded to a halt. There he was, sitting on his favorite park bench, still in his Shinsengumi uniform.

It's just as I thought. He hasn't even tried to move on.

Not that I can blame him...

He didn't move as she walked towards him—just remained where he was, hunched over with his hair obscuring his face. She stopped a few paces away, and forced her frozen lips to move.

"Sougo."

He didn't even twitch. For a moment, she wondered if he'd even heard her. Then he spoke, a hint of annoyance in his voice.

"What're you doing here?"

She tensed. This wasn't the same as when Mitsuba died. He hadn't anticipated it, and he no longer had the Shinsengumi to use as a crutch. She didn't know what to do, but she did know 'I was worried about you' wasn't the answer he was looking for.

"I..." She hesitated. "I just wanted to see you."

His shoulders twitched.

"Well," he muttered, "you've seen me. Now run along back to the Palace before they realize you're gone."

"But...I'm not living at the Palace, anymore."

He glanced at her out of the corner of his eye, and she continued, happy to finally get some sort of reaction

"I escaped about a week ago," she explained, excitement building in her voice. "I work at Otose's bar now. You should come by sometime, okay?"

With that, she reached out a hand to touch his shoulder, only for him to knock it away.

She stumbled back, clutching her hand to her chest. In all the time she'd known him, Sougo had never done anything like that—not unless they were fighting. What was going on in his head? Why wouldn't he just talk to her?

"I'm—I'm sorry," she whispered, taking another step back. "I don't know how to help you right now. I—"

"Go away."

She flinched, and he got to his feet, turning his back without sparing her so much as a glance.

"Go away. That's what you can do."