Only the beginning

3D-Printed Naily yawned as she entered the infirmary semi-early in the morning. She froze when seeing someone lying in one of the beds, but relaxed after remembering that Fireball had stayed the night. "Oh, you're still here. Mind if I rant for a bit?"

No answer. Fireball was sound asleep.

"Good. Cause I wouldn't have cared, whatever answer you gave me." 3D snorted, then winced as she rummaged through a medical cabinet. "God, I have the worst headache of my life. I got no sleep last night whatsoever - Bottle's a ditzy moron who will ramble on and on endlessly about her team and her stupid friends, and Cheesy just wouldn't stop with those god-awful PUNS." She slammed the door closed and opened a different one. "So now I've got to come in here and look for Tylenol or Aspirin because I've got two idiots as cabinmates."

3D paused and turned to look at Fireball. "Wish I had you as a cabinmate instead - you apparently sleep like a rock." She chuckled.

Fireball stayed still. Unnaturally still. In fact, it was at this point that 3D noticed Fireball wasn't moving at all. No twitching eyelids from REM sleep, no shifting around to get comfortable in bed, and worst of all, no rising and falling of her chest.

A cold feeling trickled down her spine. "...uh... F... Fireball?" she asked warily. She stepped forwards next to the bed and cautiously placed her fingers on the girl's neck, checking for a pulse. There was none, and her neck was cold.

3D recoiled. "Aw, fuck." She glanced around the room and spotted something sharp on the little shelf next to the bed. She very carefully picked it up and inspected it. "An empty syringe..." Looking back to Fireball, she saw something else that confirmed her worst fears - a tiny puncture wound on the girl's neck.

"...so excited to start preventing death!" a voice said, growing louder. 3D whipped her head around to see Bottle and Barf Bag walk into the infirmary. They both froze upon seeing Fireball's body. "Aaaaaand Fireball is dead!" Bottle concluded.

3D tried to calm her heart. "I just found her like this a moment ago. I don't know who did it."

"You sure about that?" Barf Bag's gaze was fixed on something to the right of 3D's face. She turned to look and belatedly remembered that the empty syringe was still in her hand. "Shit!" 3D flung it away from her,suddenly realizing how bad the whole situation looked.

--------------------

A couple minutes later, mostly everyone had gathered outside the infirmary, as it wasn't small enough to hold all the kids inside. "Alright," Barf Bag addressed everyone. "I hate to have to say something like this, but... Fireball is dead."

A heavy gloom settled over the group. They mostly knew this would happen sooner or later, but hearing that someone was actually dead - and so soon, too - really brought the reality crashing home. Several of them had to hold back a sob. "A few minutes ago, Bottle and I came into the infirmary together," Barf Bag continued. "Fireball was already dead on one of the hospital beds, and 3D-Printed Naily was standing next to her, holding an empty syringe."

Almost comically, everyone turned to look at 3D at the same time, who was standing off to the side with her arms crossed and an angry look on her face. "Lies," she stated plainly.

"...3D?" Flower asked hesitantly.

Bottle raised her hand. "Barf Bag wasn't lying, 3D, and you know that! I can back her up!"

"What I meant was that I didn't kill Fireball," the gray-haired girl elaborated.

"Then who did?" Conditioner asked.

3D threw her hands into the air in exasperation. "I don't fucking know! All I know is that I went in a couple minutes before they did and found Fireball already dead! The syringe was on the table next to her and I only picked it up to look at it!"

Brain snorted. "Likely story."

"Yeah!" Cheesy agreed. "This one seems like a no-brainer!" Thankfully, everyone else was too preoccupied with glaring at 3D to notice the pun.

Mac spoke up. "I hate to say this, 3D, but you're the best lead we've got here. The only lead, really."

"I can't believe this," 3D muttered, incredulous. "You're all going to kill me because I was in the wrong place at the wrong time?!"

People had doubts, of course, but looking at the little info they had, they couldn't help but agree. "But where's Oodle?" WL4 wondered.

On cue, Oodle materialized next to him. "Jesus!" WL4 yelped. "Stop DOING that!"

Oodle shrugged apologetically, then turned to face the rest of the crowd. "So you guys choose 3D-Printed Naily to die?" he asked.

Several kids muttered under their breath too quietly for anyone to hear. "We need at least a majority vote," Oodle clarified. People began to nod hesitantly.

"No, no no no NO!" 3D screeched. "You IDIOTS! You're killing the wrong person! With this level of stupidity, there's no WAY any of you are surviving this murder mystery!"

Oodle simply sighed regretfully and took out the revolver from its holster, pulling back the gun's hammer. A resounding click reached everyone's ears as he raised the weapon.

"Wait." Dicey pushed through everyone, as he was one of the shorter kids. "I just went into the... infirmary, and the body was... cold."

"SO WHAT?" Envelope asked.

"Well, don't bodies... take a while to... get cold?"

Barf Bag nodded, then gasped as a realization hit her. "Oh..."

Dicey continued. "So... if 3D had killed Fireball right before... Barf Bag and Bottle walked in..."

"...then the body would still be warm," Barf Bag finished.

3D got a sparkle in her eyes. "Yes. Yes! See? I TOLD you I didn't kill her!!"

"But now what? We don't have any other clues on who the killer is," Bone pointed out. "We have to choose someone, and picking randomly is pointless."

"About that..." Oodle scratched the back of his head. "Now that you've already chosen 3D, even though she's not the murderer, I still have to kill her."

Silence. 3D face-palmed. "You've got to be f-"

bang

Everyone except Box jumped as 3D's head whipped sideways from the force of the bullet. Lifeless, she hit the grass with a thump. They all stared at her body, disbelief and horror written clearly on their faces. Marshmallow looked away, doing her best not to throw up.

Oodle lowered the gun, his face solemn. "I'm sorry."

"You're sorry? Are you KIDDING me?" Conditioner spat. "You're forcing one of us to kill everyone else. You can't possibly be sorry!"

Oodle was quiet for a moment. "You don't know that," he whispered. Then he was gone.

Nobody said anything for a full minute before TV slowly walked up to 3D's body. The grass around her head was now stained with blood. "What... what about her body?"

Flower glanced at it in disgust, but there was also a hint of sorrow in her trembling face. "Oodle will probably get rid of it later," she remarked, her voice wavering.

As people finally began to wander off, Suitcase rubbed her forehead, where a headache was blossoming. What a morning, she thought to herself.

Suddenly, the girl realized something. When Barf Bag woke everyone up earlier, only one of her cabinmates was still in bed. She assumed the other had already left, but looking around now, they were nowhere to be seen. "Wait..."

Flaggy and Bowling Ball glanced at her. "What is it?"

"...where's Marble?"