1

“Brooke, don't worry. I'll be fine,” Eli assured the owl, smiling at her when he felt her claws digging into his shoulder and winced, “I know that you don't believe me but please trust me that I'll be okay right now. Ever since we arrived in this manor, the attacks were usually after the matches so rest assured that I'm gonna be just fine.”

The owl just stared at him as if she's saying that she'll keep an eye on him and Eli smiled wider, he was thankful of having Brooke as a companion. If it wasn't for her then he would've been living in a world filled with darkness, not being able to see anything at all.

He can sense her partner's worry and chuckled before gently patting the owl in his shoulder, comforting her as much as he can. Brooke might be a worrywart but she has the right to be one, Eli isn't someone that someone can consider as strong. If he was strong enough, he could've prevented someone's death which changed everything in his life.

Until now, he can feel the wrath in Gertrude's gaze at him and that was the last thing that he saw before his vision was taken away from him. Maybe it's the punishment of the Gods towards him, to see such hatred from the orbs of the one that he loves dearly. The one that he tried to save- causing that misfortune to happen in their lives.

“Eli.” His thoughts were cut off when he heard the deep voice of the embalmer behind him, causing him to turn his head and flash a smile at him, “Let's walk together to the match room.”

“Sure thing, Aesop.” he replied as he waited for the grey-haired male to be on his side before the two of them started walking side to side, “How was your day, Aesop?”

“It's fine. Had a decent amount of sleep and made sure that my room is tidy just as always,” Aesop replied.

“Ah, I see. I overslept today, I thought Martha would probably scold me for not helping out in kitchen duty a while ago. Fortunately, she shrugged it off!”

“You were against Smiley last night and got chased throughout the match, she probably just let you get some rest to regain your energy. We all knew how much of a chaser he was and how that dash of his is such a pain in the ass.” Aesop can't help but grimace when he remembered one of his previous matches getting chased by the hunter and got downed because of that dash.

Eli chuckled at the other male's statement, “You're right about that.”

“I hope that you're in top shape now because we're about to have a match in a few minutes.”

Eli nods, “Of course, Aesop. And even if I'm not okay, I'll make sure that I wouldn't be a burden to any of you.”

“Nonsense. You were never a burden to any of us, Eli. I wish that you'll credit yourself more than that,” Aesop stated.

Eli wanted to retort against Aesop’s statement but he kept it inside and just smiled, “Sorry about that, Aesop.”

Aesop stopped on his tracks and despite not being a fan of skinship, he held Eli’s hands within his own “When I say that you should credit yourself more than you do, I mean it. I cherish you, Eli Clark.”

“I’m sorry to interrupt the lovey-dovey moment but can the two of you proceed inside the match room so we can get this ready?” Aesop flinched and immediately lets go of Eli’s hands when they heard Vera faked a cough as she crossed her arms.

“Ah,” Eli chuckled as Aesop was a blushing mess, looking at the ground as if he wanted to be swallowed by it.

“Hurry up, boys. Let’s get this started,”

“Hey! Come here!” A cheerful Tracy that was already sitting in one of the chair, waving her hands, “I wonder who’s going to be the hunter in this match,”