Chapter 7: Dragon Training Again

"So, I noticed that the Dragon Log had nothing on White Creepers. Is there, like, another book, or a pamphlet, or--?"

A spike impales itself in my shield, and I let out a yelp.

"Focus, Astrid!" Unferth calls from outside the arena. "We can talk later!"

The arena has been turned into a maze, with no exit. The only way we can win this challenge is to avoid the Spiny Scorpion above.

"Today is focused on attack!" says Unferth. "Scorpions are quick and light on their feet. You have to be quicker and lighter!"

I quickly rush in the opposite direction from the Scorpion. Luckily for me, Dorfang and Fordang have managed to get themselves into its sights, and it seems to have forgotten about me.

"Stay in its blind spot!" Unferth yells at them.

The Scorpion squawks. I turn a corner and almost crash straight into Starkwulf and Keegan.

"What are you doing?" Keegan hisses through clenched teeth. "Get down!"

The Scorpion has positioned itself just around the corner from where we stand. It isn't looking our way, but any noise will alert it to our presence.

Keegan glances down the passageway where the Scorpion stands, then dives into a stealthy roll across the gap, hardly making a sound. Starkwulf follows his lead, not quite as silent, but still very quiet. I attempt to imitate their maneuver, but I put too much weight on my shield and fall on my back with a loud clatter.

The noise reaches the ears of the Scorpion. It squawks and barrels straight at me, sending the walls that have created the maze crashing to the floor. I dart around corner after corner, trying to shake it off, but to no avail.

"Astrid!" Keegan shouts. He throws his axe in the Scorpion's direction, but it misses the dragon and comes flying at me. It buries itself in my shield with force enough to throw me to the ground.

Keegan vaults over a fallen barrier and stands over me, trying to tear his axe free. The Scorpion shoots a volley of spines at him, and he flattens his body against mine.

"Help me get this out!" he barks at me.

"If you'd just get off--" I start, then gasp as I see the Scorpion raise its tail. "My right, your left!"

"What?"

I don't try to explain. I strain and roll to my right, taking Keegan with me. He yelps as he passes under me, but at the same time the spikes pass over my head. A little close for comfort, but at least there's no damage. For now.

I stop after a single rotation, on my back again, and Keegan immediately starts pulling at his axe again.

"If you'd just let me get it off--" I try again.

Keegan gasps sharply as the Scorpion comes charging at us, fed up with attacking from a distance. He braces his knee against my shield and gives the axe one hard yank. I shout as the weapon rips away, taking a large chunk of my shield with it. Without bothering to clear away the splinters that remain on the blade, Keegan turns and strikes the Scorpion in the snout. The dragon yelps and runs off.

Breathing heavily, Keegan watches Unferth lock the Scorpion back in its cage, then turns back to me, his green eyes full of raging fire.

"Is this some kind of game to you?" he demands. "Our parents' war is about to become ours. Figure out whose side you're on."

I stare at his back as he stalks out of the arena. "Your parents," I mutter under my breath, that heavy weight of grief and loss settling in my stomach again.