Winter Witch

***I'm not entirely sure where this fits with in the MCU, hypothetically it could be after endgame, but given the events of Wandavision, I'm not sure if the timeline makes sense. But just imagine everything up to Avengers endgame has happened, but the events of Wandavision or anything that happens/happened after endgame either haven't happened or aren't relevant.***
***I DON'T own marvel or any of the characters***

Wanda was back in her old room at the avengers tower. It has been a few months since the blip. A few months since Tony and Nat died, and while it technically had been five years since Vision died, for Wanda it really had only been a few months, and yet it felt like she had gone through lifetimes with out him.

Wanda doesn't sleep much anymore, because anytime she does her dreams turn into nightmares. The nightmares are mostly about losing Vision, but occasionally Pietro would make his way in, and more often than she'd like to admit, she dreamed of Hydra and all that they put her through. So she simply chose not to sleep, and no one really noticed. The avengers had practically fallen apart since half of its founding members recently died, and the only people Wanda ever really saw were Rhodes, Sam, and Bucky. She also saw Clint a lot. Even though Clint didn't live at the compound or the tower, where Wanda spends most of her time, he still made it a point to check in with her at least once a week, which Wanda both needed and appreciated.

It was late at night, and Wanda just laid in her bed sleeplessly. When at last she was exhausted from boredom, she got up and decided she'd go watch some TV. Quietly she tip toed out of her room and into the living room. She grabbed a blanket and cozied up on the couch before putting on some How I met your Mother. After watching an episode or two, she began to drift off. She was tired, and it had been a rather peaceful day, so she let herself fall fast asleep, a choice she'd soon regret. It wasn't long before her dreams were filled with pictures of Hydra and everything they Put her through. She woke up drenched in sweat and began to scream. She was tangled in her blanket, and felt like she couldn't breathe, she also couldn't shake the feeling that someone was watching her.

"Its okay," a familiar voice called out. Wanda recognized it as Bucky and became slightly less tense. He appeared at her side and helped her untangle from the blanket. He then sat down next to her, and grabbed her hand soothingly.

"I'm sorry" she said quickly. "I didn't mean to wake you, do you think I woke the others?" Fear rose in her eyes.

"Don't worry about it" Bucky assured her. "I only heard it because  I was in the kitchen, and the walls here are so thick I don't think anyone else heard a thing."

Wanda let out a sudden sigh of relief, before a wave of nerves began to overtake her. She and Bucky weren't that close and he had just heard her scream and cry in pain and fear. In the darkness, she felt her face redden when she realized he was holding her hand.

"I get them too" he said. She looked at him shocked. "Nightmares." Bucky hesitated slightly before he continued. "When Steve told me what happened to you...how you and your brother volunteered for the experiments, I couldn't believe it. I thought to myself 'who in there right mind would volunteer for something like that?' But I realize you had no idea what you were getting yourself into, you were just kids, you had no idea what Hydra would and could do."

"We wanted to make a difference" Wanda told him. "At first they were nice, they feed us well, didn't lock us in any cells. But once we got our power they—" she couldn't finish what she was trying to say and Bucky knew exactly how she felt. "Do they ever go away? The nightmares?"

"No." He answered honestly. "But eventually they become more infrequent. Nowadays I only get them when I'm anxious or stressed, which has been quite often since Steve left."

"Steve was a good friend," she agreed. "I miss him too."

Bucky shrugged and tried to change the subject, he was worried his emotions would get the best of him if they continued to talk of Steve. "What are you watching?"

They both turned to look at the TV, which was quietly still playing in the background. "It's about a guy telling his kids the story of how he met their mother. It's good, happy, I like it." She forced a smile, yet felt herself relax a little, she understood why he wanted to change the subject and they both tried to invest their full attention to the TV.

"Hey Wanda?" Bucky waited for her gaze to meet his before he continued. "If you ever need someone to talk to, or maybe just someone to hold your hand." He looked down at their fingers which were still intertwined. "I'm here for you, just in case you need someone."

Wanda smiled at him, she tightened her grip on his hand and laid her head on his shoulder. "Thank you!" She told him. "And same goes for you, if you ever can't sleep odds are that I can't either, don't be afraid to come hang with me." He nodded and they both brought their attention back to the screen. Both of them were immensely more relaxed at the thought that even though their worlds were falling, they still had someone to hold on to as it fell.

After an episode or two, they gradually fell asleep, and with both of them experiencing safety for the first time in forever, they were able to dream happy thoughts without any disturbances from the shared trauma that normally followed them anywhere they went.

***Author's Notes***
- I don't ship Winter Witch, so there isn't supposed to be any romance between them, all the hand holding and such was purely platonic.
- if you've never watched or heard of How I met your Mother I highly recommend you watch an episode or two, it is one of my fav shows of all time
- feel free to comment any suggestions or requests for stories, I'm just going to update this anytime inspiration for a story comes to mind. I hoped you enjoyed this chapter!