04 | lights, camera, hell!

Mornings have always treated me right, no matter how much of a commotion I cause between falling off my single mattress bed and onto the hardwood door, and my unreal sprint to Roosters to get a dose of my staple energiser

It's a usually a cakewalk thereafter, but I'm not sure that's exactly the case today.

The Environmental Sciences class is just as crowded as my fourth birthday party, with me and a buzz cut nerd comprising of an entire row. There's some two or three people around, but I don't bother looking- my head resting on one of my elbows while I scroll through my phone under the covers of the graffitied desk. To be precise, scroll past the website of Australian Princess, the coveted beauty pageant that begins exactly in a month from today. The page layout is obnoxiously pink, which gives a taste of what's in store, but my attention is gauged by the audition form popping up on the illuminated screen and the instructions below. 'Along with a mandatory professional portfolio, aspirants need to send in a two minute video of them speaking on a socioeconomic current affair and their stance on the same.'

Okay, this doesn't sound so bad. I am unaware of what possesses me then, but I find myself searching for the venue where in the course of the pageant will be held, and a few enthusiastic localities giveaway the location through their series of Instagram posts. It is barely a thirty minute drive from the university, but with the haywire schedule of the buses, it might as well somehow take me two hours to reach the place. An exasperated sigh escapes my lips, and the document from News 11 that's still sitting in my mailbox comes out howling at me from one of the unclosed tabs, as I mull over the situation. Even though, seated right under the fans, I can't help but feel dizzy, and it must've been apparent because I feel a poke on my shoulder followed by a 'you don't look good' in a husky voice.

Writhed out of my stance, I nearly drop my phone, but somehow the fall of my striped Sun dress catches onto the device within time. I resist the strong urge to curse at whoever's behind, and I'm more than glad with the decision when the same ruffled brown hair, twinkling eyes, and a worried smile find me on the other side. I'm left wordless, staring at Nolan all blank until I realise he'd been saying something. "Yeah. yeah, I'm okay," I nearly bite my tongue whilst treading past the stutter, wondering what's suddenly got into me. It's not our first meeting by any case, and we successfully broke the ice during the little walk to the park, what with me sharing my life altering blunder and everything.

"You're sure?" He chuckles, a deep contrast to the frown creased on his forehead.

I round it up to a lack of sleep, since Kiara nearly blew up the apartment last night, over these blurred photos of Sam and some strawberry blonde at yet another frat house party. Apparently, it was a celebration of this one tower getting a clean chit from the cops, and because a lot of them are still very much under radar, they kept the population limited to just the members. I'd advise her to join in with them if blasting Ariana Grande on loop at two in the night, was going to be the case every time her boyfriend loses a game of beer pong to a girl, but I also know how her Dad would disown her if he found out. He's already got her banned from even straying near the fraternity till this case comes to a proper conclusion. "You zone out a lot, y'know?" He snaps his fingers, briefly squinting his eyes as a teasing smirk works it's way over his lips.