Lovers Don't Finally Meet

He looks just like the prince standing there. A lonely, beautiful prince.

"Where are the people?" is the first thing she asks to break the silence as she slowly approaches him. An inside joke... their inside joke.

And it's so cold she has no idea how he manages to answer without trembling:

"It's a little lonely in the desert..."

Zeynep remembers instantly their game with Savaș and Emine, and she feels so old! Like that happened a hundred years ago... The emptiness eats her soul more and more every day.

"It is lonely when you're among people, too."

No answer.

Silence.

Painful silence? Weird silence?

It's just silence.

Lonely silence.

"I've seen it, Zeynep," he starts. "... that look in your eyes, and I can't compete with that! I don't even want to." His voice is tired. His eyes are tired. His heart is tired. He's never fought like this until Zeynep. "I shouldn't feel like I need to compete with Mehdi or anyone else for your heart."

He felt as worthless as he does now only once when he was little and he broke his arm...

"Barıș," her voice is soft, softer than it was at the office or at the hospital; after they almost got shot or even after their late-night date. Softer than the voice she uses around Mehdi, but he knows soft voices can break a heart in hundreds of pieces.

Cause he never forgot... she never cared.

"It's ok, Zeynep hanım! It's your road and yours only. Others may walk with you, but no one can walk it for you."

Panic. She feels so panicked as she sees him replacing his wall with a fortress... a fortress she could never demolish, not even visit again.

He quoted Rumi in the most heartbreaking way possible.

She feels like crying, and crying, and crying because she made him feel like this. And it's not about guilt, it's about pain... the pain of seeing the sweetest, most supportive, and incredible person she's ever met in this state.

"Barıș, lütfen, bak bana!" she whimpers, trying to touch his arm, but she can't because he takes a few steps back, away from her.

Her touch would only make him burn. And he can't let her burn him anymore... it would be too much and not enough at the same time.

"Zeynep..."

"Barıș, lütfen," she cries and reaches out again to touch his arm through the coat.

The ring... She still wears the engagement ring.

He finally looks up at her and they both freeze. Their eyes reflect the same needs, pain, and fears. The same confusion. The same weakness.

"You don't have to feel guilty or responsible, Zeynep. Not for anyone and especially not for me. It's your life, your choice. I just never wanted to control or disrespect you... Or make decisions for you."

"I know, but I am tired of everyone worrying and telling me what's right and wrong."

"All I wanted was for you to be safe. I wanted to protect you from anyone who wanted to hurt you. You've always been very important to me! And the way you let others treat you makes me very mad."

Zeynep knows he is completely right, but something inside her makes her want to fight with him... challenge him.

"Do you remember the day we met?" He asks, still staring at her ring finger.