Delilah's Birthday

Knock Knock Knock.

In the midst of the servants' chaos, which was all that could be seen and heard in the Stellard Residence that morning, three simple knocks resonated on the tall oak door.

"Yes, Raquel?" Came a voice from inside the room.

"Miss Stellard, it's the day of charity, today. We need to get you up and ready." Said Raquel in a hurried but polite manner.

The sound of light footsteps could be heard and then the door opened to reveal a very disheveled Brooke in her white nightdress.

"I'll be there in time before we leave, go Raquel, finish your duties" She said, slightly annoyed at the maid, who seemed to pop up everywhere, offering help.

"But your mother wishes that the whole family come down for breakfast in fifteen minutes!" the maid said, not hiding the anguish in her voice.

"Very well, I'll be down for breakfast in time." Brooke replied.

"But-But miss, your mother ordered me to assist you in-"

"I'll tell her you assisted me exceptionally well" Brooke interrupted her. She wasn't one to usually interrupt but the old fashioned maid was getting on her nerves. It wasn't the medieval times, she could put on some clothes on her own.

"Miss! I couldn't possibly as-" 

"Raquel." 

The maid silenced.

"Go finish your duties" Brooke said in a kind tone, but it clear that pushing any further would be dangerous for one's health.

"Yes Miss, call me if you require anything" the maid said, who had thankfully caught on the message.

Brooke heaved a sigh as she shut the heavy door. Charity day was always difficult for her. Not because she did not like giving away money, but because of the history attached to it. 

Her birth mother- Delilah Ashford Stellard, first wife of Anthony Stellard and the dear sister of Richard Ashford; the beautiful and kind... link, connecting the two powerful empires- Stellard and Ashford had died today, eleven years ago.

Every year, charity day would be celebrated in both the families. Huge sums of money were donated to hospitals, schools, orphanages.

Years ago, when the wound of Delilah's death was fresh, The Midtown school hosted a fund raising football game and donated the money, hence, acquiring attention of the two lions of the Sahara- Stellard and Ashford.

And the school did reap its benefits, for all the children of the Stellard and Ashford family were admitted to this school.

Her Mum. Oh her Mum. She was the light that made the enormous Stellard fort- a home. She made her father laugh and It was an extremely rare occurrence to force a laugh out of her Father whose face strongly resembled a block of granite.

When her Father's (supposedly) friendly meetings got too heated up, Mum was always there and would say just the right words to soothe down all the gentlemen (who were not so gentle just moments ago).

Her eldest brother- Antonio- much alike her Father, loved their mother to death, and when she died, so did a part of both- her Father and Antonio. Both became more cold and calculating as ever. Laughed rarely and disengaged themselves from the petty matters of the family. Antonio was in college, earning a degree in business and simultaneously handling a fourth of the Stellard business.

She expected no less from him. In the one year of school where she got to see her brother as a student, she did not think of him as a student at all. It was a frighteningly similar image of her Father.