Numero 21

7 years.......

It has been exactly 7 years since I have been in this dark, scary, 4-walled jail-room. Why? No answer..

It was Jan 1st, 2014. I was going to University 3. I woke up at 9:00 am, I was late as usual. I rushed into the bathroom, took a bath, straightened my hair and wore my clothes. I was wondering why my mom didn't wake me up today as she usually does. I ran downstairs to the dining table for my mom's delicious cheese omelette she makes. But there was nothing, not even a sign of my mom, no spoon or fork put down. I dived for a moment, and came back to myself with the sound of the kettle's chime. I went but there was no kettle ... no nothing.

"Mother?! Are you still sleeping?! I will make my breakfast and go", I said in my thick voice. No answer. I found this so weird for some reason, but I thought to leave the poor women alone and let her rest. I am 22 years old and she still gets my breakfast ready, I thought and scolded myself. So I quickly ate my breakfast, cleaned up and ran straight to the bus stop. As I left the bus, walking to my school, I suddenly felt dizzy and that chime-sound BUZZED in my brain 8 times. I remember. I had no idea why that happened. I came to myself, and looked at the time, and I had only 3 minutes for my class to start! I ran and reached class. I was in class doing my assignment, and again I heard that chime BUZ-BU-B-BUZZ-BUZZ. Then, I found myself on the floor ineffective. I opened my eyes and saw my Teacher and friends gathered around me asking if I am okay. I quickly recovered and got up to my feet; and I apologized to my teacher and continued my work.

"What is going on with me?!! Since that buzzing sound I heard this morning, I have been feeling like this", I was thinking deeply to myself. My mind was now all on my mother, I wished I checked on her, I regretted a lot. I was staring on my desk, then to the clock, on the desk then to the clock, and finally! DING! Class is over! I was packing up my stationary and was walking towards the bus. I finally arrived home, It was 5:30 pm. I threw my bag onto the floor, checked the kitchen! WOW! Not even the handle of the tap's position moved! Ok, there was something serious going on. I ran up to my mother's room, I knocked..no answer, I knocked again...this time I heard the chime, but this time louder, and louder. I was frightened and did not open the door for some reason. I went to my room, it took me 5 minutes to gain my courage back, I went and actually opened the door............and my mother was not there?!

"Mother?! It's me, Evelyn your daughter, say something if you hear me", I yelled. I started to hear rumbling sounds in my room, I went there but there was nothing. I started walking down the stairs then -weeee yuuuu weeee yuuuuu, I stopped and saw the police and ambulances rushing to our street from the window, I quickly continued walking down the stairs,

"MOTHER?!", I yelled. My heart stopped for a moment, I was shocked and couldn't speak. My mother was lying down on the floor with blood all over the place!! I thought I was losing my mind! I heard that BUZZ this time louder, and faster-faster-faster-faster-faster!! What was going on? I saw a knife and picked it up, then I heard the door knock,

"STAY IN YOUR SPOT!", I heard the police yelling, and they broke into my house. The knife was still in my hand! My bad!

"PUT YOUR HANDS UP!" they said. I dropped the knife then put my hands up, then a police came and handcuffed me.

"Are you Evelyn Smith?", one police officer asked.

"Ye-y-yes, it is me", I was blanked out. One police officer pulled my arm and said "You killed your mother", I said yes.... Then after a few seconds I just realized what I said!! "WHAT? NO I DIDN'T!!!", I shouted. But unfortunately it was too late. The police officers caught me in my shock. Shall I cry for my mother, or lose my mind for what I have said? I was going to lose my mind, 1% left for me to lose my mind. I found myself in the police station waiting to give my testimony.

"Evelyn Smith," they called out. I went and entered the scary, dark, room. "You said that you have killed your mother, and we got a complaint that you killed your mother, so what is the scene behind this?", the police officer asked. "Look, I have not committed anything like that, ok? Believe it or not, I was in shock and I said it without thinking, I came downstairs and found my mother on the floor lying down in puddles of blood," I insisted,

"Stop telling me stories, this is something serious, and we will decide for you in the court in half an hour," said the police officer and left.

I was just stoned to my place, I left as well and was waiting in the halls of the courthouse. My name was called out, I went.

"We do not believe you, you are clearly lying, a man has seen you from the window", declared the judges. I was stoned, and had nothing to say. I don't know WHY I said this; "Yes, I killed my mother", I declared. I started to hear the BUZZING sound again. Uh, I was tired of this! I looked out the window and saw a guy who was showing me the knife. That was the one I held! It was HIM!!!!! Too late, I was taken to door numero 21 which means number 21 in french. I was now in the jail all alone. After a few minutes I entered, the same guy opened the door.

"You fool!," he said. I heard the BUZZ sound and started to feel drowsy and dizzy.

"OH OH!!!" I just realized everything! This guy has been following me everywhere and that BUZZ sound was coming from a small tool that he was holding, and that tool makes the chime sound and anaesthetizes the person's mind. So that was the reason I said yes, that's why I was dizzy in school! But when I was in the courtroom I said yes because I had no hope that I would get out of here. But now everything came together like pieces of puzzles. I wish I never said yes.

That is my life's biggest mistake! So now it is 2021, 7 years, I am here. I regret so much.... 

                                                             The end! 

I hope you guys enjoyed it! If yuo guys did, please comment here!