The Mission

Chapter 2: The mission

       The next morning, we packed a bag and headed to the airport. On the way there, I had her go over the mission with me one more time. "So, I'm widowed Faith, English millionaire who inherited the money from my husband who died under mysterious circumstances. Right?"

       She nodded once. "Exactly. Just make sure you emphasize mysterious circumstances so they think your morals align with theirs." Gross.

"Okay, so who are you?"

       The smile was back. "I am Julie, eighteen-year-old tech genius dipping my toes into the world of the one-percenters after making my first couple million selling my tech to some super-secret agency." Of course.

"Your alias is so much cooler than mine, I wanna trade."

"Can you code? Or build anything? Like at all?"

Fair enough. "No, no, I cannot."

She relaxed in her seat. "Didn't think so."

         I had hoped the drive here would give me enough time to not be so freaked out about what we were doing. What I was doing. Yet, standing in front of the airport doors, I didn't feel any less nauseous.

"Dude seriously, what's up with you? Were you always this shaky before missions? Is that why you hate them? And you're just using morals as a cover." she said, and I pushed her shoulder with my bag. "No, I'm just trying not to think about the last time I was in Northwest. I thought I burned the thought out of my memory, but I suppose I hadn't." I said.

"What happened?" she asked.

"I will tell you later. For now, let's make sure we don't miss this plane. Tickets were expensive for no reason." I started walking inside. "Why didn't we just drive?" she asked.

"Because we would have had to leave last night, and I for one, wasn't prepared to drive for ten hours on no sleep." I handed my license to the lady at the counter and waited for Callie to do the same. Once we were in the line for the metal detectors, I just had to ask her, "You don't have any knives on you, do you?" She thought about it for a second and then shook her head. "Not even in your shoe?" I narrowed my eyes at her.

       She shook her head again. "I have been to an airport before, you know."

       Once we got on the plane, it was like all of my years had gone out of the window. I was shaking my leg so hard, it actually started to hurt.

"If you keep shaking your leg, I am seriously going to rip it off and beat you with it." Wow, somebody is grumpy.

"Well, you could've sat in the end seat." I was by the window, and she was directly next to me. "I mean, who chooses the middle seat anyway?" Then I saw it... The fear. "Oh my God, you're scared."

      She glared at me.

"I am not. I just don't like putting my life in the hands of other people. Planes do crash, you know."

          Holy shit. She was actually scared. It almost helped me feel better about my own predicament.

"So wait," I had to lower my voice so only she could hear me. "You can kill people, go on secret missions and all of that, but flying in a plane for an hour scares you?"

        She rolled her eyes now. "I told you, I'm not scared. I just don't trust planes or pilots." Now I understood why she asked why we didn't drive. "We probably won't die. I mean, we might, but there's a good chance we won't... If that helps." I laughed.