Chapter One

...

Raven sat perched on the windowsill of her modest dorm room, gazing wistfully at the bustling college campus below. The sight of students engaged in their seemingly carefree lives tugged at her heart, accentuating her longing for the ordinary. How she yearned for problems as simple as arriving to class on time or fretting over a passing grade. However, her reality diverged drastically from such mundane concerns.

A heavy sigh escaped her lips as she took a sip from her steaming afternoon tea. Family troubles were among the most arduous challenges one could face, and in Raven's case, the burden weighed heavily upon her soul. She hadn't chosen her lineage any more than she had chosen her own existence. Yet, being born into a lineage intertwined with a demonic being, whose sole purpose seemed to be the propagation of evil, presented challenges that exceeded the realm of ordinary difficulties. A constant perpetual sense of fear loomed over her, accompanied by an incessant question that plagued her thoughts:

"If that is what he is... then what am I?"

Once, the answer seemed simpler. She identified herself as a Titan, a member of the renowned superhero team she had called family. But as time passed and she delved deeper into her own complexities, the notion of normalcy beckoned to her with an irresistible allure. It became a beacon, driving her to attempt to navigate the realm of everyday life, even if she knew deep down that true normalcy would forever elude her grasp.

Every individual had their reasons for enrolling in college. Some sought the freedom of partying and emancipation from parental supervision, while others pursued education as a means to secure a promising future. For Raven, however, the pursuit of normalcy drew her towards this academic endeavor. The prospect of exploring new subjects and expanding her knowledge always held a captivating appeal, but above all, it was the chance to immerse herself in an environment where she could blend in, even if only to a limited extent, that propelled her forward on this unconventional path.

A soft tap against her door interrupted Raven's contemplation, prompting her to redirect her gaze towards the entrance. Jessica, her friendly dorm neighbor, poked her head inside, a mischievous glimmer in her eyes.

"Rachel, your boyfriend is here again." Jessica remarked, a playful tone lacing her words.

Raven's reaction was a mixture of exasperation and mild irritation. She let out a weary sigh, setting her mug of tea down on the windowsill. "He's not my boyfriend." She retorted curtly, her voice tinged with a hint of defensiveness.

A knowing smirk played on Jessica's lips as she met Raven's response. "Sure, whatever you say..." She quipped before closing the door behind her, leaving Raven to her thoughts once more.

Raven emerged from her room, making her way down to the main lobby of the dormitories. With each step, her irritation grew, evident in the way she crossed her arms and scowled at the boy leaning against the wall. He wore a hat and hoodie, an ineffective attempt to conceal his distinctive features.

"What do you want, Garfield?" She asked, clear irritation in her voice.

A gradual grin spread across his lips as he locked eyes with her, emanating a substantial wave of positive energy. It was a sensation she had missed, although reluctant to admit it amidst her quest for normalcy.

"You know, you constantly showing up here is making my attempt at a normal life kind of difficult." She bitterly informed him.

Unfazed by her irritable tone, Garfield abandoned his leaning position on the wall and approached her with measured steps. "I wanted to talk to you." He said, his smile unwavering.