𝑺𝒖𝒊𝒃𝒊𝒂𝒏

Each night I lay awake as anxiety runs course through me. Unable to comprehend this feeling of someone waiting for me. I thought and assumed myself to be all alone, until one day you came along never leaving my side.

~10 year old Wei Ying~

"Very good young master Wei Wuxian. It's so rare to find a talent such as yours." One of the elders boasts while I give them a farce smile. Yeah right!

"Indeed," my stance immediately changes when I hear uncle Jiang Fengmian agreeing to their words, "Ah Xian is indeed quite gifted. I can foresee a long and prosperous future for him."

"True. True." From my peripheral I could see Madam Yu seething at their words. Praying to the universe I hoped with all my heart they were kind enough to speak good about Jiang Cheng too.

"Sect Leader Jiang Fengmian, we were even appreciating young master Jiang Cheng too. For his age his archery is really good," and I wasn't disappointed.

Kindly smiling at them uncle Jiang Cheng nods, "Agreed, but with focus he can be even better."

The hairs on my back were raising by now. I knew Madam Yu heard each and every word. If I can sleep tonight without Zidian hurting my back, it would definitely be an added bonus.

"So the great Wei Wuxian gets all praises and glory again," rolling my eyes at Jiang Cheng I jab his ribs.

"Come on don't be jealous. How about we go and catch some of those water monsters?"

Never the one to back down, we sneak away from the crowd and especially from Madam Yu. Once away from prying eyes we sprint towards the outskirts of Lotus Pier.

Strolling around, I pick up a rock and throw it into the water when Jiang Cheng enquires, "Do you miss your parents?"

His question surprises me but then I wonder how do I answer his curiosity?

"As time passes by it seems they are becoming more of a distant memory. Each day I remember them less." Turning to face him I walk backwards, "All I remember is my mother's smile and my father's warmth, nothing more."

"Wei Wuxian-"

Turning away from him I look ahead, "Please don't bring up this conversation ever again." With a nod he smiles and kept his word. Never again did he ever bring up the topic of my parents. I never asked him back then the reason for him asking me this question as he never had before enquired much about my past, but after that day he never did enquire again, for that I was always thankful.

"Look," pointing out he calls for my attention, "That's the one that elder was talking about. What do you suggest we do?"

From the age of 8, uncle Jiang Fengmian was very particular that both of us start cultivating our cores and often used to take us on small night hunts which would not be too burdensome on us. But never before we have ever encountered any monsters alone. This was our first time.