Sleepless

"It's raining again," Alice complained as she rolled over to her side acknowledging the soft pitter patter of the rain on her window. She loved the rain but this has gone on all night and for most of the previous day.
The night before, she was up until 11:00 pm at her therapist, Ms. Kandice Thrower's house. They were talking about how Alice was coping with everything at school when her mum Penelope arrived to pick her up. As usual, she was late. Luckily Kandice was only Alice's therapist, otherwise she would have been in a lot of trouble. Again.
Alice stretched and rolled herself over to look into her dark bedroom. "What a dull place to be hiding, Jeff," she said mostly to herself. She had this crazed obsession with Jeff the Killer, or Jeffrey Woods as it is meant to be said. You could say that she was his biggest fan, but everyone who knew her knew that she was his only fan. "I bet you are tired. Here, take my bed. I'm going downstairs to get some water and then start on my homework," she said just before checking her alarm clock.
07:37 am. It was the same time as always. She dragged herself out of bed and limped over to the light switch to turn on the light and flipped the switch.
Nothing happened.
She flipped it again, twice more, then decided that it wasn't worth the hassle. "Bulb is gone again, I recon," she said before hitting it again, once more to try to get it working. It was almost a miracle, the light turned on and started to shine her dark bedroom in its orange-tinged glow.
She glared at the light switch for a while, feeding it all the hate that was buried deep within her heart. She then sighed and went to get dressed.
She picked up the jeans and t-shirt she wore yesterday, deciding that they're clean enough to wear again, and quickly shoving her small frame into them.
As she wandered down the stairs to the kitchen, she noticed that the cat was up. "Hey there Sam, are you alright?" She spoke softly to the animal, reaching out to gently stroke it's ears and head.
She stopped when she noticed the picture of her deceased father knocked over. Where it was, it was a surprise that anything could knock it over but human contact or Sam. She thought nothing of it, picking it up and looking at Sam with a displeased look on her face. "We don't touch Daddy, Sam. You know that," she consoled the animal before turning back to the kitchen and grabbing a glass and filling it with water.
She looked in a mirror. It had been a long time since she had last slept properly, and that showed in the bags under her eyes which were almost as black as her hair. She quickly brushed through her hair and then looked back to her pale skin, her sky-blue eyes glistening and bringing out the dark underneath them even more.
She hastily looked away, towards the computer. Then to her glass of water. There was a rule in her mum's house: if you have a drink, you can't go near anything electronic. It was a good rule to have, but it meant Alice would have to start her homework later on in the day.
"Oh well," she sighed. "It's a small price to pay for needing a drink," she said before she downed the entire glass in one big gulp. She wasn't about to give away the fact that she hadn't slept properly since she was six bother her or affect her daily work. She'll just have to try a little harder to get it done, was all.
And that she did. A little harder each and every day.