Confused

After she had completed her homework, it had hit twelve. Her mum was already up, so she need not worry about waking her up.
"Hey mum, how are you?" She spoke quietly to her mum as she had been awake for hours without uttering a single word and her throat hurt.
A minute passed in silence before she tried again. Mums do that thing, you know, with the selective hearing.
After a few attempts of getting her mother's attention, she finally gave in.
"May I help you?" The brunette replied. Alice's mum was always tall, skinny and very pretty but she held nothing against her daughter's flawless complexion.
Slightly confused by her mum's behaviour, she went on to say "I've finished my homework," to which her mum nodded and turned away. "I'll be in my bedroom if you want me," she finished, a bit dumbfounded.
Her mum ignored her again.
Turning away, Alice thought she heard her mum murmur something under her breath, but decided it best not to ask as she slowly made her way out of the kitchen. She repeatedly thought to herself That can't be my mum. My mum is never like that. That can't be my mum. My mum is never like that. Until finally she believed it. She walked up the hallway towards the stairs when she caught sight of a strange-looking figure in the window, however when she rushed over to see what it was a bit closer, she realised it was just a leaf and her imagination (and the reading of Jeff the Killer fanfics all night) had lead her to see things. It was probably just a leaf. Yeah. She thought, just a leaf.

**Author's note**
This is only a short chapter, but I had a huge writer's block midway through writing it and it just didn't leave. Finally I've finished it though. Comment 🔪 if you want a second chapter!