0.11

This chapter was such a hassle! It posed so many problems and it's been ready for DAYS!

chapter eleven;
a geisha dinner
─────── • ❥ • ───────

"Ah, they're so pretty!" Chenle cooed while the group entered the buzzing restaurant. There were Japanese women dressed in their beautiful summer yukatas, dancing with brilliant precision, serving enclosed rooms parted with sliding doors, and in general, guests wandering around a more communal area where drinks were present and the dancers were performing. The usual carpets were woven underfoot, the temporary residents' sandals soundless upon them. The walls were paper in most places, yet wooden in more secure areas. The smell of green tea, sake, food and flowers wafted across the air, enticing everyone inside.

"They're geishas, aren't they?" Renjun murmured. "Or at least, they're impersonating them. They don't really exist anymore in that form."

"Mhm, the white makeup and severe colours are a dead-giveaway. Their hair as well," Jeno motioned to one of the girls laughing politely with a guest. "The black is necessary so that the clips and pins all hold it up nicely...it shines."

"Woah, someone's coming. Act natural," Mark demanded, pulling his yukata further over his chest with discomfort.

"Konichiwa, everyone. How many?" The raven-haired female asked with a brilliant smile.

"Oh, seven," Jaemin responded quickly. "And we're pretty late, but we had a reservation."

"Yes, the TTN tour, right?"

Her Korean is good, they all thought, straightening their postures. "That's us."

"Well, it's busy as you can see. But I can offer a private room with more peace and quiet, or perhaps you like the buzzing vibes of this space," she stretched her hand towards the large room of chatty people. "Your choice."

"Um, what do you guys think?" The blonde asked. "Anyone into geishas?"

"Na Jaemin, shut up," Donghyuck begged. "You can't just say that!"

"It was a joke," the driver insisted. "Obviously they aren't prostitutes like the real ones!"

"This conversation has ended," Jisung clapped his hands together. "We'll take a private room so that we can avoid all embarrassment, please."

The lady nodded with a chuckle and proceeded to guide them towards a small hallway of numerous paper doors. Shadows and silhouettes shifted and moved behind them, and loud laughter could be heard due to the thinness of the barriers. Donghyuck's eyes watched everything carefully, and he tried not to bump into the pretty staff members when they brushed by.