5 - Irresponsible Hate Anthem

"I can fake a smile ... I can force a laugh .."

After hearing the best few lyrics of 'Human' by Christina Perri, I reach for my phone and turned off the alarm. Laying there in bed, memories of what happened yesterday flooded into my mind.

I headed straight for the library and said that I had to complete a book report - they believed me. I spent the rest of the day texting Sam while 'researching' about Marilyn Monroe. I know, not the best person to write a report about, but hey, I love her. I then arrived home and when my dad told me the school called him, I told him I had a sub and they didn't hear me say 'here' - he believed me. Ever since Kevin entered my life, my life has been shitty. It's gotten to the point where I forgot how to fake a smile.

I knew I couldn't lay in bed all day, so I slowly pulled the covers off myself. I sit up and stare at my closet before getting up and walking over to it. I really didn't have any 'lazy' clothes, so I just went with a flowy, long sleeve white shirt, white torn jeans, and a pair of Converse All Star white high tops. I then quickly changed into my outfit.

30 seconds later, I brushed my hair and parted it down the middle. I had a strange feeling that I was missing something ... or something must be worn with this look ...

Oh yeah, a flower-themed bohemian headband that my mom handed down to me. It used to be hers, but she gave it to me on my 10th birthday saying her 'head was getting to big for it'. It was really beautiful, and it matched with my outfits.

I gently put it around my head and look at my reflect in the mirror. What people thought about my image didn't matter to me. If you worry about what people think about you, then you're not living freely.

"Ryder, come on, we're going to be late!" My dad yelled from downstairs.

"I'm going, hold on!" I yelled back. I rush over to my bed and grab my phone then left my room. Just I reached the bottom of the steps, my dad appeared, holding my stuff. He was wearing his normal attire, a suit.

"Robertson just called me 5 minutes ago and he wants me in his office, ASAP," he explained, handing me my backpack.

"Does this mean I'm gonna walk home?" I questioned. I didn't mind walking home - well, that was until Diamond didn't know who I was.

"No, it just means you're getting to school quite early. It's 5:56, and the building doesn't open until 7 or so, so you'll be outside for a while," he said opening the car door. I open mine and slip inside, throwing my stuff in the back.

"Well, guess Sam coming to school early," I told him. The best thing about having Sam as a best friend is that he'll be there for you at any place, at any time. I hate taking advantage of his kindness.

We were then heading our way to Falcon High.

20 minutes later, we arrive at Falcon and my dad pulls up to the front. There were only 10 or so kids outside, but the lights inside the school were on. Can't they just let us inside?

My dad then stops the car and leans back in his seat.

"Is Sam here yet?" He asked, releasing a yawn seconds after. I check my phone and a message from Sam appears.

I'm here, near the end of the school tho :) x - Sammy

I smile and reach to the back.

"Yeah, he's here. I'll be off then," I said. I give my dad a quick peck on the cheek and a hug.

"Love you, and have a good day," he tells me.

"Love ya too," I replied. I open the car, hop outside, and close the door behind me. As I head for the building, my dad drives off of school property. I start to look around in search of Sam, hoping he really wasn't in the back. Seconds later, I see him, standing near the end of the school.