The Rebirth

"Inmate 0912843."

Today was the day I was finally being released from jail after four long years. Today was the start of my new life, the rebirth.

I was arrested at the age of 15 for armed robbery. I already know what you're thinking "arrested at only 15?" Well.. it's a long story.

My mother and father died in a car accident when I was 7, and I had to live with my abusive aunt Nita. After DSS found out about me being abused, they moved me in and out of a whole bunch of shitty foster houses.

After a while, I found a foster home that I actually liked. There was another foster kid living there named Dashawn, and we became the best of friends and decided to run away when I was 11 and he was 14. By the time I turned 13, we were stealing from anything and anywhere we could just to get by.

We've seen it all and done it all. From eating out of trash cans, to sleeping in old, torn up boxes. Although we were just kids, we played smart, until one day that changed our lives forever.

*FLASHBACK*

"This doesn't feel right Dashawn.." I stuttered.

We stood outside of a beautiful brick house in the pouring rain. Both Dashawn and I had on all black attire with stolen ski masks and matching guns that we also stole. My body shook as the cold, hard rain hit me.
I felt Dashawn's hand grab hold of mine to stop the shaking.
"We're gonna be fine Dee. You remember the plan right?" I nodded. The day we've been looking forward to for weeks is finally here. Dashawn had our get away planned perfectly, so nothing could go wrong, unless one of us makes a wrong move.
Dashawn let out a long sigh before kissing my forehead, "Let's do this, babygirl."

*END OF FLASHBACK*

"Inmate, get your ass out here!" I shook my head and rose from the bench, grabbed my belongings and made my way to the check-out area.

I'm not gonna lie and say I hated being in this place, because I didn't. I had a bed to sleep in, water to bathe in and food to eat everyday, so you didn't hear any complaints from me.

My aunt Nita was the one who was picking me up from jail, since she was the only relative who's number I knew by heart, she was the first person I called and she was more than excited to hear from me. I've learned not to hold grudges on people, so that's why Aunt Nita and I are on speaking terms after what she did to me.

I walked up to the counter where I had to sign out. An ID was given to me, since I am legal now, and so were the clothes I came here with.

"Sign here" a black lady with nasty, ghetto acrylic nails spoke.
After signing all my papers, I was finally un-shackled and a free woman.
I made my way towards the doors with the biggest smile on my face, "I better not see you back here!" my favorite guard yelled to me.
"Trust me, you won't!" I replied.
As soon as I stepped outside my Aunt Nita and cousin Tiffany attacked me with hugs and kisses.

"Okay, okay, damn" I laughed.

"Girl, you've grown so much! Oh my baby!" Aunt Nita spun me around, and checked me for changes.

"You even got you a body now!" Tiffany laughed

I laughed and rolled my eyes playfully.

"Shutup Tiff, you know I always had it goin' on"

"Ugh, we've missed you so much. You don't know how many times I've wanted to visit you!" Tiffany said.

"Yeah, I know, but I'm here now so that's all that matters." Tiffany nodded.

"Okay, come on girls, lets get going so Demaria can get some new clothes and freshen up." Aunt Nita said.

I examined the house as we pulled up. Everything looks exactly the same as it did when I was 7. 12 years and nothing changed.
I opened the car door and got out, making my way to the front door.
"Gon head girl, open it. Don't be shy."

I opened the door and walked in, as everyone yelled

"SURPRISE!!!!!!!"