Chapter 1

I hear my best friend yelling from the house next door. I walk over and open the curtain. Getting my notepad, I write, "U ok?"
"Not really" is written on his notepad.
"What's wrong?"
"Just tired of drama"
Of course your tired of drama, I think to myself, your dating the biggest drama queen in our senior class.
I just wanted to tell him what I felt but I knew that would ruin us. we had been best friends since his family moved next door. His window faces mine so when we were little, we had little notepads and would write for hours talking about random stuff. One day about three years ago I said something that I don't even remember but then he said "Oh you know you love me" and made a really funny face that made me laugh and I realized that I did love him and that goofy smile he had. It shocked me because I had never thought of him as anything but a friend before.
We never stopped writing on our notepads even when we got phones. It was like our little tradition.
Now I wrote down "I love you" even though I new I wasn't going to show it to him but when I looked up, his curtain was closed and he was gone. My heart felt heavy. he hasn't been the same since he started dating Renaye, he's been distant, like he's not there even when he's sitting right next to me.
I held up the notepad with three little words with so much meaning to them for no one to see.

Matts pov
I closed the curtains because I knew if I didn't I would end up writing something that could ruin us. I looked down at the notepads we always used and say a torn out page under it. I moved the notepad already knowing what it said "I love you."
I opened the curtain and saw her dancing (if you could call it that). I laughed, then mentally yelled at myself. I don't love my best friend. I don't love my best friend. I don't love my best friend. I tried to convince myself. I looked at the piece of paper again. my life was too complicated.