Remembering Sunday

Prologue

           I could hear the pitter-patter of my converse's sole's beating the cracked and wet cemented walkway. My breathing was quick and fast, my heart beating hard, and rough, as I strode in a long and quick pace. My backpack slapped my back, making me wince and groan in agony. I took a quick look behind my shoulder, I sighed in relief when I didn't see my crazy mother running behind me. I stopped in an alley and slid down the back of the wet brick building. The cold drops of rain pelted my face, dripping down my chin and onto my soaked clothes. I shivered before bringing my knees to my chest and wrapping my arms around them. I rested my head on my knees and sobbed. I needed to get away. I couldn't take all of this pain. I needed...help...

Chapter One

       Scarlett

        I lay crippled on the floor as my mother lashed out her drunken anger on my poor body. I jolted from the rippling gpain of the whip hitting my felsh, it seemed as if the torture would never end. I screamed in agony after every blow. Then after a moment had passed, I didn't feel the skin splintering agony anymore.

         I heard my mothers loud foots steps make there way up the stairs befor ea loud slam of the dorr. I walked into the bathroom and turned around. I closed my eyes adnd breathed,when I opened my eyes, pure pain and shock spread across my gface. My shirt had tear marks in it. I lifted it to see huge and horid gashes. I put my hand over my mouth to muffle the sobs that dared to escape my mouth.

          I stepped nto the shower, the cold water stinging my scaps and fresh cuts. I hissed as i turned off the water. I got out of the shower wrapping a old and worn towel around my small waist. I poked my head out of the bathroom before scurring down the steps and into the small room under the stairs. I coughed at dust that filled my lungs. I grabbed my inhaler and sucked in a deep and shallow breath. I slipped on a large shirt that Grey had given me at Summer camp. I smiled at the memory, wishing that my life was just that way, but sadly and indeviantly it wasn't.

         I  slipped under the covers and huddled myself into a ball, letting my eye lids cose over my eyes, letting me escape into the dreamless sleep I always fell into.

----

      The light shinned brightly through my small window. I yawned and stretched my aching muscles. I carefully got out of bed. I lifted my shirt up to see a large and long slash on my bad. I flinched as the cool air wisped again the raw flesh. I slipped on a baggy black shirt and some faded jeans.

        I brushed my hair quickly and sprayed a little mist of a sweet fragrance I had stolen from my mother's dresser when she wasn't looking. I opened the old rusty door of my smal room carefully; making sure my mother didn't here the creaking of its rusted screws.  I walked up the steps--I let me say I tip toed--and snuck a look inside her room to see half of her body sprawled lazily on the bed; underwear, beer bottles, and cigarettes were scattered across the rosy red carpet.

         I scrunched up my nose in full disgust. I closed he door quietly before hurriedly gabbing my book bag and heading out of my house, not bothering to eat anything before I left. The chilling air hit me straight forward. I shook it off and stomped my way to the bus stop. My friend, Grey, stood at the bus stop. Alone. I walked over to him. He smiled at me before bringing me into a hug. I flinched a little, making Grey pull away. "Scarlett, you okay?" I shook my head, not meeting his eyes. "Is your mom hurting you again." I simply nodded. He placed his hands on my shoulders. "Scarlett, you know you can trust me, please let me in, don't shut me out." I sucked in a breath before spilling out everything that had happened, the night before.

          I didn't notice I had tears in my eyes until Grey pulled me into another hug. I sobbed into his shoulder, my arms wrapped around his neck. "Shhh its okay." Grey said in a soothing voice. I heard a creek of the school bus. I pulled away from Grey, breathing slowly. He grabbed my hand and squeezed, I smiled before climbing onto the bus, Grey not long following me after. I decided to sit in the far back of the bus instead of my regular seat in the front. I still gripped Grey's hand. I then felt the warmness disappear. I looked at Grey to see him only wrapping his arms around my waist. Carefully.

         I couldn't help it but a smile crept on my face. "I've got you." Grey whispered in my ear. We stayed this way until we reached our destination. He pulled away from me only to grab my hand and drag me off the bus and nto the hellhouse of high school. I giggled to myself.

         We walked through the school, making people stare at us. I stared up at Grey. He didn't show any expression only a small smile was on his lips. I turned back to see, Angela, the bitch of the school staring at me with demon eyes.

         I rolled my eyes showing her she didn't scare me. I saw her nostrils flare with anger. I held my posture, plastering my best smile just to make her explode.She sauntered over to me, hands on her hips, her crew high on her heels. "What are you doing Harlett." she spat venom in every word she spoke. I heard 'oo's spread throughout the hallways. Grey gribbed my hand tighter, his body hardening after Angela had spoken. Angela must have seen because she smirked and stepped closer to Grey, her body pressed against his. He backed away from her pulling me with him.

          I didn't say anything just stared at her, my eyes faring, my blood boiling. "Aww look at little Ms. Harlett." Angela said. I let go of Grey's hand my body trmebling with anger. I let out a low growl before jumping onto Angela. I I began punching her. I heard a loud crack and crunch. I felt arms wrap aaround my waist and pull me off of her. I looked down at my hands to see that they were covered in blood. Angela's blood.  Everyone was looking at me. I didn't like it. I was pulled away by strong arms. i looked up and saw Grey. I blw out a breath as he dragged me out of the school building. "He let go and looked at me.

         I looked down at my shoes not able to look him in the eyes. He lifted my chin up with his finger. "You kicked ass, i'm proud." he said chuckling. I bit my lip. "This calls for a happy dance!!" I watched as h tried to do Gangnam Style. I laughed, holding me stomach. He stopped and grabbed my hand before dragging me along. "Where are we going?" He stopped. He pressed his finger over my mouth, "Shhhh, its a surprise."

         He said before dragging me along once again.I pouted. He stopped at an old park. I felt ran fall on my head. Grey stood in front of me. "Dance with me." he said holdng out his hand. "I can't dance." I muttered. "Come on." he begged. I groaned and nodded. He smiled. He grabbed my waist and lifted me so I was stepping on his feet. He wrapped my arms around his neck and rested his hands back on my slim waist.

         He began to hum the beat to my favorite song. Kissing in Cars. He lokked into my eyes, and brushed a hair behind my ear. I didn't know what came over me but I felt myself, press my lips on his. He pulled me closer to him, our body pressed together. I felt my stomach fltter and jump with butterflies. This could possibly be the best moment of my life.