The Basics (Part 5)

Basic #3: The Doctrine of Baptisms

As you study the Bible, it can be very helpful to pay attention to plural and singular forms; in fact, it can make your study even more intriguing. Such nuances are key to unlocking Scripture, especially when Holy Spirit is involved.

One thing you may notice as we unpack each of these principles of the Doctrine of Christ is, they are all interrelated. There are numerous principles, and yet, each one is part of the whole. Just as there are many members of the Body of Christ; nevertheless, it is still one Body.

Hebrews 6:1-2 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

Of course doctrine means teaching or instruction, and the singular form denotes a oneness attached to it. While the doctrine of baptisms refers to various washings, it should be noted there are also more than one baptism. They too, are connected to each other.

It's easy to focus on one baptism while overlooking the others. For instance, when you hear baptism, what comes to mind? Is it water baptism in the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit? Have you considered, for example, the baptism of repentance, or the baptism with the Holy Spirit and fire? Don't forget those who were baptized into Moses.

We'll take a look at various baptisms. But, first let's define this one found in Hebrews 6:2, along with two other Greek words pertaining to baptism.

What Does Baptisms mean?

Baptism (Hebrews 6:2) in the Greek is BAPTISMOS, pronounced, bap-tis-mos' (Strong's number 909): ablution (ceremonial act of washing): - baptism, washing. This word pertains to the act, and not the result. It's a rite or act of purification, i.e., elements of Old Testament rites.

This verse could also be rendered, "instruction about washings."

As we study the root of this word, which is the verb tense, we'll have a better understanding of its applications. Note: with what or whom baptism is associated makes all the difference.

The root of baptism is BAPTIZŌ, pronounced bap-tid'-zo (Strong's number 907): From a derivative of BAPTO (Strong's number 911); to immerse, or saturate; used only (in the New Testament) of ceremonial ablution, especially (technically) of the ordinance of Christian baptism: - baptist, baptize, wash.

Going further, it carries the connotation of dipping a garment into a dye, where it takes on the characteristics of the dye itself. This means to identify with what or whom one is baptized. Hence, being baptized in the Name of Jesus, means one is identifying with Him, His name, along with His death and resurrection.

Moreover, it indicates the baptized person is closely bound to, or became the property of, the one whose name he was baptized. In this case, it means the one baptized is closely bound to Jesus. In fact, he would be considered the Lord's property.

Let's examine one more Greek word rendered as baptism: BAPTISMA, pronounced bap'-tis-mah (Strong's number 908); From BAPTIZO (Strong's number 907); baptism (technically or figuratively): - baptism. To make a thing dipped or dyed. It refers to the completed task, and indicates the result of baptism.

Going back to baptisms, or washings in Hebrews 6:1. In this particular instance, this word refers to the Old testament rites. It is only used in a few verses.

Hebrews 9:8-11 The Holy Spirit is signifying this, that the way into the holy place has not yet been disclosed while the outer tabernacle is still standing, which is a symbol for the present time. Accordingly both gifts and sacrifices are offered which cannot make the worshiper perfect in conscience, since they relate only to food and drink and various washings, regulations for the body imposed until a time of reformation.

Mark 7:3-4 For the Pharisees, and all the Jews, except they wash their hands oft, eat not, holding the tradition of the elders. And when they come from the market, except they wash, they eat not. And many other things there be, which they have received to hold, as the washing of cups, and pots, brasen vessels, and of tables.

Mark 7:8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.

As you study these verses in full context, we come down to one conclusion: rituals and ceremonial washings make no one clean. None of these connect us to the Blood of Jesus and the sanctification of the Holy Spirit. Our identification with Jesus Christ alone makes us clean, not the traditions of men.

   Lord willing, next round we'll drill deeper down into baptism and how it relates to our standing with God. But we'll end with this thought: Often it has been said, "Baptism is an outward sign of an inward work," but it's more than that, which we will soon see!